Published on August 11th, 2014 | by Becky Striepe6
10 Delicious Vegan Sandwiches for Back to School #meatlessmonday
Sandwiches might seem like typical, boring packed-lunch fare, but these vegan sandwiches are far from it!
Happy Monday, y’all! We are so excited to kick off our week of Daily Specials here at Eat Drink Better! Today’s special is Meatless Monday, and I’ve got a list of vegan sandwiches to help you transition back into packing lunches. Don’t miss the rest of this week’s specials: Try Something New Tuesday, Waste Free Wednesday, Thirsty Thursday, and DIFRIday!
My little guy is starting back at day care tomorrow, and that means packing lots of lunches. He’s just 18-months-old, so he’s just starting to eat sandwiches, so I’ve been on the lookout for vegan sandwiches to make for him. I’ve got to tell you: there is something pretty darn cute about a tiny kiddo eating a half sandwich as big as his own head!
Some of these vegan sandwiches might be a little bit hard for my toddler to manage – that barbecue sandwich looks great, but I’m pretty sure Darrol Henry would wear more of it than he ate. For bigger kids and for yourself, though, you’ve got weeks of back-to-school variety here!
Some of the vegan sandwiches on this list are a little bit messy. If you’re worried about soggy bread, you can do like my mom used to when I was a kid. Pack the sandwich filling in a separate container and stash a fork or spoon in the bag. Your kid will probably love assembling his own sandwich at lunch time!
10 Vegan Sandwiches for Back to School
1. Chickpea-Kale Spread – Stuff this into a pita or wrap with lettuce and tomato for a yummy sandwich that’s anything but ordinary.
2. Tomato Sandwich – Channel your inner Harriet the Spy!
3. Cashew Butter and Blueberry – Kick plain ol’ PB&J to the curb with this grilled spin starring cashew butter and blueberry preserves.
4. BBQ Sandwich – Who says you can only eat barbecue in the summer, right? Pack plenty of cloth napkins with this messy sandwich!
5. Balsamic Baked Tofu Sandwich – Sauteed peppers, onions, and mushrooms and baked, marinated tofu are a filling combo!
7. Hummus with Roasted Cauliflower and Sweet Potato – This ain’t your mama’s hummus sandwich!
8. Filet O’ Chickpea – You can serve these chickpea patties topped with the cool slaw recipe that accompanies them, or you can pack the slaw on the side.
9. Veggie Lunch Meat – Does your veggie kid want a vegan sandwich that’s more like the ones his friends are packing? These DIY lunch meats are just the ticket. Resist your temptation to pack on the veggies, and just add a little lettuce, tomato, and yellow mustard for your kiddo who wants to blend.
10. CLT – This is a plant-based version of a BLT starring smoked coconut “bacon” in place of conventional bacon. If you’re never had coconut bacon before, I encourage you to get some ASAP!
Keep up with the latest sustainable food news by signing up for our free newsletter. CLICK HERE to sign up!
Use the buttons to connect with EDB on some of your favorite social networks!