Published on June 11th, 2014 | by Becky Striepe1
Chia Recall: 50+ People Sick from Chia Powder
Several companies are issuing a chia recall for a range of chia products. We’ve got a list of the recalled chia products in the U.S. and Canada as of June 11.
The recall is mainly impacting products containing chia seed powder, but some sprouted chia seeds and one brand of black chia seeds have also been added since the recall began.. So far only sprouted chia seeds have been recalled. 17 people in the U.S. have been sickened by salmonella-contaminated chia, and 34 people in Canada. Below are the recalled brands.
Navitas Naturals was the first company to issue a chia recall, and several other companies who make products using sprouted chia seed powder have followed suit. The chia recall began on May 28, 2014, and has expanded a few times in the weeks since. The list below is compiled from the FDA recall site and the Canadian Food Inspection Agency.
U.S. and Canada Chia Recall Brands (alphabetical)
Current as of June 11, 2014.
- Back 2 the Garden Sprouted Chia Seed Powder
- GreenSmoothieGirl Sprouted Ground TriOmega Superfood
- Harmonic Arts Botanical Dispensary Chia Seed Sprouted and Ground (Salvia hispanica) Organic
- Intuitive Path Superfoods Black Sprouted Chia Seeds Certified Organic
- Naturallyorganic Organic sprouted chia seeds cold milled
- Navitas Naturals Omega Blend Sprouted Smoothie Mix
- Navitas Naturals Organic Sprouted Chia Powder
- Organic Traditions Dark Chia Seeds
- Organic Traditions Sprouted Chia & Flax Seed Powder
- Organic Traditions Sprouted Chia Seed Powder
- Organic Traditions Ultimate Superfood Trail Mix
- Pete’s Gluten Free Sprouted Fiber Blend
- Williams-Sonoma Omega 3 Smoothie Mixer
If you have any of these products in your pantry, you should toss them or bring them back to the store for a refund.
Keep up with the latest sustainable food news by signing up for our free newsletter. CLICK HERE to sign up!
Use the buttons to connect with EDB on some of your favorite social networks!