Published on April 7th, 2014 |
by Becky Striepe
35 Garden Ideas to Get You Growing
Hello, lovely Eat Drink Better readers! When I’m not talking about delicious food over here at EDB, I work as co-director at another site on the Important Media Network: Crafting a Green World. This week, CAGW is hosting a Garden Week that’s packed with DIY gardening goodness, and Eat Drink Better is participating. This roundup of awesome gardening ideas and inspiration is our contribution to Garden Week.
Growing even some of your own fruit, vegetables, and herbs is a great way to reduce your foodprint. So much of the food that we buy travels hundreds or even thousands of miles from farm to plate, and anything we can do to reduce that distance is good for the planet and good for us. In case you need a little bit of inspiration to get you growing, I’ve rounded up this ultimate list of garden ideas for you!
From small-space gardening to specific plants to plain old eye candy, we’ve got garden ideas to satisfy all of your spring gardening desires!
Garden Ideas 101
1. Online Gardening Tools to Help You Grow Food
2. Try The No-Dig Gardening Method
3. Top 15 Seed Companies
4. Seed Sprouting 101
5. Teaching Children to Garden
6. Guide to Container Gardening
7. 5 Gallon Bucket Gardening
8. Miniature Guerrilla Garden
9. Save Space and Water with Vertical Gardening
10. No space to grow? Try yard-sharing!
11. Balcony Garden Ideas
12. Dreamy Rooftop Garden Ideas You’ll Envy
13. Indoor Gardening Ideas
Growing a Green Garden
14. Choose a Lead-Free Garden Hose
15. Gardening with Greywater
16. Understanding Soil Test Results
17. Protect Your Garden from Slugs
18. How to Deter Snails in Your Garden
19. Ways to Conserve Water in the Garden
How to Grow…
20. Increase Your Strawberry Yield
21. Plant Perennials to Save Time and Energy
22. Growing Peppers in Your Container Vegetable Garden
23. Plant a Salad Bowl
24. Growing Herbs in Your Kitchen Garden
25. How to Grow Ginger
26. Tips for Growing Basil
27. Homegrown Microgreens 101
28. How to Grow Herbs in a Container Garden
29. Growing Mushrooms in a Laundry Basket
30. How to Grow and Transplant Seedlings
31. Top 15 Food Plants that Grow in the Shade
32. Sprout Your Own Alfalfa
33. Free Gardening Apps for Android
The DIY Garden
34. Make Wine Cork Plant Markers
35. Build an Upside-Down Tomato Planter
Image Credits (in order of appearance): lettuce, balcony, garden hose, and strawberry photos via Shutterstock, garden marker photo by Becky Striepe
Keep up with the latest sustainable food news by signing up for our free newsletter. CLICK HERE to sign up!
Use the buttons to connect with EDB on some of your favorite social networks!