Published on February 9th, 2014 | by Heather Carr2
Nearly Nine Million Pounds of Beef Recalled
Nearly nine million pounds of beef have been recalled. Rancho Feeding Corporation of Petaluma, California has recalled about 8,742,700 pounds of beef, according to the U.S. Department of Agriculture’s Food Safety and Inspection Service (FSIS).
The beef is being recalled because “diseased and unsound animals” were processed in the plant. “Diseased” means just what it sounds like – these animals were clearly ill. “Unsound” simply indicates that they had symptoms of disease, but may or may not have been ill. Downer cows with Mad Cow Disease fall under the classification of unsound until they are tested and confirmed to be sick.
The beef was distributed to retail centers and distribution center in California, Florida, Illinois, and Texas, although FSIS did not release the names of these centers. It is unknown if any of the beef was eaten by people (well, somebody knows, but not you or me.)
So far, no illnesses have been reported in association with this beef. The FSIS notes that there is a high probability that illness can result from consumption of these products.
Even worse, this recall covers beef processed between 1 January 2013 and 7 January 2014 – just over a year of production for nine million pounds of beef. It seems very likely that many people have eaten these animals.
The following Rancho Feeding Corporation products are subject to recall:
- “Beef Carcasses” (wholesale and custom sales only)
- 2 per box “Beef (Market) Heads” (retail only)
- 4-gallons per box “Beef Blood” (wholesale only)
- 20-lb. boxes of “Beef Oxtail”
- 30-lb. boxes of “Beef Cheeks”
- 30-lb. boxes of ” Beef Lips”
- 30-lb. boxes of “Beef Omasum”
- 30-lb. boxes of “Beef Tripas”
- 30-lb. boxes of “Mountain Oysters”
- 30-lb. boxes of “Sweet Breads”
- 30- and 60-lb. boxes of “Beef Liver”
- 30- and 60-lb. boxes of “Beef Tripe”
- 30- and 60-lb. boxes of “Beef Tongue”
- 30- and 60-lb. boxes of “Veal Cuts”
- 40-lb. boxes of “Veal Bones”
- 50-lb. boxes of “Beef Feet”
- 50-lb. boxes of “Beef Hearts”
- 60-lb. boxes of “Veal Trim”
Beef carcasses and boxes bear the establishment number “EST. 527″ inside the USDA mark of inspection. Each box bears the case code number ending in “3” or “4.”
Use the buttons to connect with EDB on some of your favorite social networks!