Food Politics + Justice Make A Difference

Published on October 26th, 2013 | by Mary Gerush

Whole Foods Wants To Help You Make Change, Not Waste

Make A DifferenceWhat if there were a mobile app that helped you live greener and save money, all while helping alleviate global poverty?

Check out Whole Planet Foundation’s Make Change, Not Waste app.

Developed by Whole Planet Foundation and BlueAvocado, the app provides a list of activities to help you live more sustainably. Want to save energy? Keep your shower under 5 minutes, air dry your dishes, or turn off the water while you brush your teeth. Looking to reduce your trash footprint? Print double-sided, switch to paperless billing, or start a compost pile. As you perform these activities every day, check them in on the app. Completing 10 actions earns you a Whole Foods Market coupon. Or you can choose to donate a percentage of that coupon’s value to Whole Planet Foundation, a group that raises awareness and donations to help business owners in developing areas grow their businesses through microcredit.

As of today, the app has raised $72,807, funded 400 microloans, changed 2,400 lives, and eliminated almost 600,000 pounds of waste.

Little actions can make a big difference. Have you downloaded the app? What do you think?

Image Credit: Make A Difference via Shutterstock

Keep up with the latest sustainable food news by signing up for our free newsletter. CLICK HERE to sign up!

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

Hi all! I'm Mary Gerush - a recovering corporate worker bee turned good-farm-real-food advocate and writer who wants to help people understand what they're eating. I tend a tiny urban farm in Dallas, TX, and hope to scale up one day soon. Omnivore through-and-through, there's not much I love to eat more than a butter-basted grass fed steak fresh from a searing hot cast iron skillet. Follow me on , , and !

6 Responses to Whole Foods Wants To Help You Make Change, Not Waste

1. Chris Downs says:

This is a great APP! Whole foods has hit a good way to help the environment, help their customers and help their own business in one joint venture with you!

Now I will have to get a smart phone so that I can join in!

Thank you all!!!

• Mary Gerush says:

Thanks Chris! It’s a simple, yet powerful app that makes you think twice. That’s always good. Thanks for reading…

2. AEM says:

Way to go Whole Foods! They developed an app for this instead of sending paper mail–a huge reduction in our trash footprint.

• Mary Gerush says:

Thanks for your feedback! It really does make you think about how to reduce waste – which is all good.

3. angela nicholson says:

I just got it and have earned four coupons. I used three to “give back” and $0.70 was donated. This is great for me because I do all of things anyway but I can let my family know that Whole Foods is helping us make a difference by rewarding our small actions with monetary donations.
    Love the app. Very easy to use and has profiles of micro-loan recipients.

• Mary Gerush says:

Yea Angela! Keep on keepin’ on and continue to make a difference. Thanks for your comment.

• Advertisements

• Popular Posts

Over-the-counter drugs might alleviate your allergy symptoms, but the side effects can be the pits. Try these food-based natural remedies for seasonal allergies instead!

I love infographics. When I came across this one about what, how, and when to plant vegetables, I thought I’d share. Keep reading after the pic for a few of my own lessons learned.

Herbal homemade soda is quite simple actually. Almost any herb can be used, and this lavender and lemon combination is cooling and refreshing!

Do You Think Cilantro Tastes Like Soap? Here’s why.

Putting a healthy meal together can be difficult on a busy weeknight. These quick, easy, healthy meals make even weeknight cooking a breeze.

Looking for an all vegan grocery store? Even if you’re not lucky enough to have one in your town, there are lots of online options for vegan grocery shopping.

• Search the IM Network