Published on August 17th, 2013 | by Tanya Sitton6
Vegan Recipe: Caribbean Sweet Potato Fries
- 4 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and sliced into thin strips about 3″ x 1/4″
- 1/4 cup + 1 Tablespoon organic unrefined coconut oil
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon cumin
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/8 teaspoon allspice
- 1/8 to 1/4 teaspoon ground coriander (to taste)
- 1/8 teaspoon ground cayenne (or more to taste, optional)
- dash of ground paprika
- 1/2 Tablespoon finely chopped fresh cilantro, or 1/2 teaspoon crumbled dried parsley
Heat coconut oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat, just until it sizzles when you touch it with a sweet potato strip. Fry the sweet potatoes 3-4 minutes in a single layer, stirring frequently, until crisp-tender. Use batch cooking as needed: don’t overcrowd the pan.
Drain fries in a single layer on a kitchen-towel-covered cookie sheet, and let cool slightly. Transfer to a large bowl and toss with salt, cumin, cinnamon, allspice, and cayenne. Top with paprika and cilantro or parsley before serving.
This recipe also makes a pretty dish using two orange sweet potatoes with two blue potatoes or purple sweet potatoes. This spice combination is good with carrot fries, too, if you don’t have sweet potatoes — sub 12 large carrots for 4 sweet potatoes.
Sweet potato peels make great dog treats — if you put them in the dehydrator for about 8 hours at 15o degrees, they make great dog treats that keep for a long time!
Be careful not to overcook, to avoid making the fries too soft.
I like the mildly coconutty flavor of unrefined coconut oil, for this recipe; if you don’t like coconut, use refined coconut oil instead.
Makes about 6 servings.
Image by the author, all rights reserved.