Published on July 24th, 2013 | by Jennifer Kaplan2
Coca-Cola Innovation: Made From Ice Bottles
Just when I thought beverage companies were all bad, bad, bad, I read about Coca-Cola’s new environmentally friendly bottles made from ice. Yes, that’s right, Coke has launched an ice bottle “actually made of ice.”
The bottles are being marketed as “eco-friendly” with an ad that is chock full of bikinis and six-pack abs and declares: “No bottles were left in the trash, or on the beach either. No trace, except for the happiness it leaves behind.” Check it out:
Beachside Cokes In Ice Bottles
According to the Coca-Cola website, Coke is being served in bottles “actually made from ice” at beaches in Columbia, South America. “The frozen vessels are true to their glass counterparts, keeping with Coca-Cola’s uniquely shaped contour bottle that includes the iconic Spencerian script lettering etched in ice.”
This is what we know about the ice bottle:
- The ice bottles are made with “micro-filtered water” that is poured into silicone molds, then frozen to -25°C/-13°F. They are shipped empty and servers fill them with soda on site.
- They have sold 265 frozen bottles an hour on average despite a 90% premium in price.
- To prevent your fingers from getting stuck to the ice, and in a smart marketing move, each bottle is wrapped with a branded elastic band, which Coca-Cola says the “doubles as a keepsake bracelet fans can wear.”
- The ice bottles cost almost twice as much to produce as regular ones (hence the premium price)
- It goes without saying that the production of the ice bottles require more refrigeration and water than conventional bottles.
- There are no plans to offer it anywhere outside of Columbia.
I would love to see ice bottles come to the United States. Whether ice bottles are actually a truly sustainable alternative to disposable single-use bottles remains to be seen. But, at least Coca-Cola is trying.
Photo screen shot from YouTube
Keep up with the latest sustainable food news by signing up for our free newsletter. CLICK HERE to sign up!