Published on July 15th, 2013 | by Reader Recipe0
Reader Recipe: Cinnamon Currant Granola Recipe
Got a healthy recipe that you’d like to share? Head over to our Submit a Recipe page!
The base of this granola recipe consists of the traditional oat mixture, with a little added flare in the form of almond meal, popped amaranth, and shredded coconut. The classic crunch of granola, the slight chew of the currants, and flavor of the coconut make for a fabulous combination.
Cinnamon Currant Granola Recipe
- 2 cups rolled oats (use certified gluten-free to make this recipe gluten-free)
- 1/4 cup almond meal
- 2 tablespoons popped amaranth (you may leave this out and simply add 1 extra tablespoons each of oats and almond meal)
- 1/4 cup shredded, unsweetened coconut
- 1/4 cup dried currants
- 1 tablespoon cinnamon (ground)
- 1/8 cup pure maple syrup
- 1/8 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons unsweetened applesauce
- 1 tablespoon coconut oil (melted)
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Combine oats, almond meal, and cinnamon in a large bowl.
- In a separate bowl, combine wet ingredients and stir until fully mixed.
- Add wet ingredients to the oat and almond meal mixtures and fold to combine. The dry ingredients should be fully coated with the wet ingredients.
- Spread the mixture on a greased or lined baking tray and spread out into an even layer. Bake for 10 minutes or until parts begin to brown.
- Remove granola from the oven and add coconut to the tray, stirring slightly to incorporate. Bake for an additional 5 minutes or until granola has evenly browned.
- Let granola cool, and then toss with currants. Store in an airtight container.