Published on June 22nd, 2013 | by Reader Recipe3
Reader Recipe: Black Metal Cüpcakes
Got a healthy recipe that you’d like to share? Head over to our Submit a Recipe page!
These extreme vegan cupcakes offer a quadruple chocolate kick with a whiskey and beer chaser. Like the music that inspired them, Black Metal Cüpcakes will have you howling at the moon!
Black Metal Cüpcakes
Yield: Makes 14 cupcakes
- 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1 cup packed dark brown sugar
- 1/2 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup vegan stout beer*
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup canola oil
- 1 tablespoon pure vanilla extract
- Preheat the oven to 350 F. Line muffin tins with 14 cupcake liners.
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, brown sugar, cocoa, baking soda, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, whisk together stout, oil, vinegar, and vanilla.
- Pour the wet mixture into the dry mixture and whisk until just combined. Do not over mix.
- Fill the cupcake liners about two-thirds full with batter. Bake for 16-18 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center of the cupcake comes out clean with a few crumbs clinging to it. Transfer the cupcakes to a rack to cool completely before frosting.
* Our favorite vegan-friendly stouts include Starr Hill Dark Starr Stout, Guinness Extra Stout, and Old Rasputin Imperial Stout; check out http://www.barnivore.com for others.
Chocolate Whiskey Buttercream Filling
- 1/2 cup vegan margarine
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1/3 cup cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1-2 tablespoons soy milk
- 3-4 teaspoons Jack Daniels whiskey (yes, it is vegan)
- Using a handheld or stand mixer, beat the margarine until smooth. With the mixer running on low, add powdered sugar, cocoa powder, vanilla, and soy milk. Then add whiskey, 1 teaspoon at a time, and beat until desired consistency; if needed, add additional soy milk.
- 1/4 cup soy milk
- 4 ounces vegan semisweet chocolate chips
- 2 tablespoons maple syrup
- 1/2 cup finely chopped vegan dark chocolate pieces (for sprinkling)
- Bring the soy milk to a gentle boil in a small saucepan. Immediately remove from heat and add the chocolate and maple syrup. Use a rubber heatproof spatula to mix the chocolate until it is fully melted and smooth. Set aside at room temperature until ready to use.
With a tablespoon or a paring knife, carefully dig a cone out of the top of each cooled cupcake. Fill the holes with the chocolate filling until the surface is fairly even. Use a spoon or pastry knife to spread the ganache on the top of the cupcake to the edges, to desired thickness but not letting the ganache run over the sides. Then sprinkle chopped dark chocolate pieces on top of each cupcake.