Published on May 29th, 2013 | by Reader Recipe0
Reader Recipe: Kale Chips
Got a healthy recipe that you’d like to share? Head over to our Submit a Recipe page!
Kale chips are a nutritious, delicious, and easy snack to make. This recipe allows for customization and adding your favorite seasonings will turn this simple snack into a must have vittle!
serves 2 as a hearty snack
- 1 large bunch of kale
- 2 tbsp of healthy fat such as olive oil or coconut oil
- Salt, pepper to taste
- Optional seasonings to taste
- Preheat oven to 300 degrees.
- Wash and pat dry the kale. Separate the leaves from the stalk and cut into bite sized pieces. Keep in mind that the kale will shrink considerably in the oven so larger “chips” might be desirable.
- To “grease” these chips you can use any healthy fat that you prefer but I recommend using it in a spray form for a more even coat and for ease of preparation. Almost all cooking oil can be poured into a travel sized spritzer for an easy DIY cooking oil sprayer.
- Evenly coat the kale chips with the cooking oil spray on the cooking sheet or toss the kale chips with cooking oil in a bowl before transferring to the cooking sheet.
- Evenly distribute the kale on the cooking sheet in one layer.
- If you are adding seasonings such as salt, pepper, garlic powder, onion powder, lemon juice, or another favorite “flavor”, sprinkle this on the kale now.
- Cook the kale chips for approximately 30 minutes but you will want to toss the kale every 12 minutes and check for desired chip-like texture.
The kale is great as a toasty treat right out of the oven much like a popcorn substitute. If you will be storing the kale make sure that it is in the tight container in a cool dry place to avoid rehydration. Enjoy!