Published on May 13th, 2013 | by Reader Recipe2
Reader Recipe: Vegan Butter
Got a healthy recipe that you’d like to share? Head over to our Submit a Recipe page!
This vegan butter recipe is quick and easy, uses relatively common ingredients, and measures just like non-vegan butter. You can use it in baking, for grilled uncheese sandwiches, or just straight on warm bread. It can easily be halved or doubled if you want to adjust the quantity. It is a nice homemade alternative to store-bought vegan butter, and would keep in the fridge for weeks if I could stop myself from eating it all so quickly…
- 3/4 cup coconut oil (solid at room temperature, refined or unrefined)
- 1/4 cup light olive oil (or other light oil like safflower, sunflower, grapeseed, etc)
- 1/4 cup soy or other nondairy milk
- 1/2 tbsp tahini
- 1/2 tbsp nutritional yeast
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Melt the coconut oil and then combine it with all other ingredients in a blender at high speed for several minutes. Refrigerate and let chill before serving. Makes about one cup.
- This recipe does tend to separate as it chills, so I try to open the fridge (or freezer) every so often and give the container a shake to help it stay mixed. Even if you don’t do this, though, it still works fine. Enjoy!