Published on May 6th, 2013 | by Becky Striepe1
Vegan Mothers Day Brunch Menu
Mother’s Day is coming up this Sunday, and we’ve got you covered with a vegan Mother’s Day brunch menu that’s as tasty as it is cruelty-free!
Brunch can be a tricky meal to veganize, if you’re used to rely on eggy dishes as the staples, but you can actually make a pretty traditional brunch without an egg or a shred of cheese in sight! The best part? This vegan Mother’s Day brunch menu features a decadent quiche as the main event.
A quiche with no eggs? YES! A girlfriend made this vegan quiche recipe for my baby shower, and even the omnivore guests loved it! The crust is rich, and the filling is so hearty you’ll never miss the egg. But! Before we get to that, let’s start things out with a salad.
Arugula and Strawberry Salad
Yield: 4 servings
- 8 cups arugula, chopped
- 2 cups fresh strawberries, sliced
- 1 Haas avocado, peeled, pitted, and diced
- 1/4 cup sesame seeds
- 1/4 cup balsamic vinegar
- 1/4 cup olive oil
- 1/4 cup walnut oil (or more olive oil)
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- sea salt and black pepper, to taste
- In a serving bowl, toss together the salad greens, berries, avocado, and sesame seeds.
- In a small bowl, whisk the remaining ingredients together. Pass the dressing alongside the salad.
Image Credit: Mother’s Day Brunch photo via Shutterstock
Vegan Broccoli Quiche
Yield: 8 servings
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 medium onion, finely chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, minced
- 3 cups finely chopped broccoli
- 1 teaspoons dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon dried tarragon
- 1/2 teaspoon turmeric
- 1 teaspoon salt
- healthy dose fresh cracked black pepper
- 2 tablespoons water
- 1/2 cup raw, unsalted cashews
- 1 pound extra firm tofu
- 1 teaspoon prepared mustard (dijon or regular, most anything will work)
- a handful or cherry or grape tomatoes for decorating (optional)
- 1 9 inch vegan prepared pie crust (Many prepared crusts are vegan – just check the ingredients!)
- Preheat oven to 350 F. Bake pie crust for 10 minutes, then remove from oven. In the meantime, start preparing the filling.
- Heat a large heavy bottomed skillet (preferably cast iron) over medium heat. Saute the onion and garlic in the oil for about 3 minutes. Add the broccoli, thyme, tarragon, turmeric, salt and pepper. Cook for 10 minutes, until broccoli is soft. If it starts to look dry add a tablespoon or 2 of water.
- Meanwhile, process the cashews in a food processor into fine crumbs. Give the tofu a squeeze to get rid of some of the water, then crumble it into the food processor along with the mustard. Process until relatively smooth. When the broccoli mixture is done cooking, add one cup of it to the food processor and pulse a few times to combine.
- Transfer to a mixing bowl, add the rest of the broccoli mixture and combine. Taste for salt. Use a rubber spatula to get everything into the pie crust and smooth the top out. Place cherry tomatoes around the perimeter of the pie and one in the center for maximum Good Housekeeping adorableness. Bake for 40 minutes, until edges of the pie are lightly browned.
Image Credit: Broccoli photo via Shutterstock
Fresh Mother’s Day Bellini
Yield: plenty of Bellinis for 4 people
- 4 cups prosecco or dry champagne
- 3 fresh peaches, pitted and peeled
- fresh raspberries
- fresh mint
- Put the peaches into your food processor, and blend until smooth. You may need to add a little water to get things moving. If you do, add the water 1 tablespoon at a time until things blend up nicely.
- In a large pitcher, combine the peach puree and the prosecco.
- Serve in champagne glasses with 1-2 raspberries and a sprig of mint floating in each one!
Avocado Chocolate Mousse Parfait
Avocado and chocolate may seem like a strange combination, but you’ll never taste the avocado in this creamy mousse! All that the avocado lends is a perfect, decadent texture!
Yield: 4 servings
- 2 Haas avocados
- 1/4 cup non-dairy milk (soy, almond, coconut – your choice!)
- 2-4 tablespoons maple syrup, to taste
- 1/3 cup organic cocoa powder
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1 pint fresh raspberries
- 1 cup fresh blueberries
- 4 clear, tall glasses
- Combine everything but the raspberries in your blender or food processor, and blend until smooth. You might need to stop and scrape down the sides of the blender with a rubber spatula a few times to make sure everything gets combined well.
- Mix the berries together gently.
- Put 1/4 cup of berries into the bottom of each glass, then divide half of the mousse between the glasses on top of the berries. Add another layer of berries, then divide up the rest of the mousse. Top with the remaining berries, and chill until you’re ready to serve.
Image Credit: Peach photo via Shutterstock