Published on April 16th, 2013 | by Becky Striepe0
10 Healthy Snacks You Can Make in a Flash
When you’re grabbing a bite on the go, it’s not always easy to make the best choices, and the best way to make sure you’re choosing healthy snacks is to whip up your own.
Pre-packaged snack foods are often not so hot, health-wise, but snacking doesn’t have to mean loading up on processed sugar, salt, and unhealthy fats! When you whip up homemade snacks, you can focus on including fresh fruits and veggies instead.
Making your snacks instead of buying packaged food might seem tough to fit into your busy schedule, but a snack doesn’t have to be time consuming to make! You can pull together healthy, delicious, satisfying snacky food without sinking a lot of time into the kitchen. Here are 10 snack ideas that don’t take a lot of time to throw together!
10 Healthy Snacks
1. Ants on a Log – This is a classic, kid-friendly snack! Grab some celery ribs, spread peanut butter (or your favorite nut butter) into the little well of each piece of celery, and top with raisins or some other dried fruit.
2. Trail Mix – Commercial trail mixes often include unhealthy add-ins like M&Ms or extra salt. Instead, try making your own with your favorite unsalted nuts and dried fruit. One of my favorite mixes is cashews, almonds, dried cherries, and dried apricots.
3. Plain Ol’ Fresh Fruit – Slice up an apple or pear, and you’re in business! You can add a dash of protein by serving your fruit slices on a plate with a couple of tablespoons of nut butter for dipping. YUM!
4. Quickie Salad – Keep washed salad greens in the fridge, so you can throw together a salad any time you’re feeling snacky. Throw some canned beans on, if you need something more substantial, and use a squeeze of lemon juice and a drizzle of olive oil to top things off.
5. Stuffed Dates – Pitted dates are like nature’s candy, and I love stuffing whole cashews (raw or roasted) into the opening where the pit used to be. It’s almost like a cookie, but no refined sugars here!
6. Avocado Crackers – Grab a box of whole grain, low-salt crackers, and pile them up with sliced avocado and a drizzle of Sriracha sauce. Decadent!
7. Tomato Toasts – Slice a tomato onto a piece of bread, drizzle with a bit of olive oil, and stick the whole thing in the toaster. You can add a sprinkle of nutritional yeast when you pull it out of the toaster to really push this snack over the top.
8. Grape Tomatoes – Go crazy and munch these by the pint, if you want!
9. Green Smoothie – Toss some frozen fruit, non-dairy milk of your choice, and some leafy greens into the blender for a quick, healthy treat.
10. Yogurt with Fresh Fruit – Grab some yogurt – non-dairy or otherwise – and pile in some fresh berries for a quickie, healthy treat!
Do you have any favorite healthy snacks that you can make quickly at home? I’d love to hear your favorites in the comments!
Image Credits: Celery and Peanut Butter photo via Shutterstock; Avocado Crackers photo by Becky Striepe
Keep up with the latest sustainable food news by signing up for our free newsletter. CLICK HERE to sign up!
Use the buttons to connect with EDB on some of your favorite social networks!