Published on March 12th, 2013 | by Tanya Sitton5
Vegan Recipe: Mediterranean Orzo Salad with Olives and Sun-Dried Tomatoes
If you love Mediterranean cuisine, this salad will knock your spicy Greek socks off!
- 1-1/2 cups Herbed Tofu Feta
- 3 cups cooked orzo pasta, cooled to room temperature (i.e. rinsed in cool water)
- 5 cups chopped fresh spinach
- 1 tablespoon capers
- 2 oz. pine nuts (about 1/2 cup)
- 1/3 cup sliced kalamata olives
- 1/3 cup chopped sun-dried tomatoes in olive oil, drained
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh Italian flat-leaf parsley
- 1/3 cup chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 cup chopped fresh mint
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- juice from one medium lemon (about 2 tablespoons)
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon salt, to taste
- 1/4 to 1/2 teaspoon red pepper flakes (optional)
Toast pine nuts in a dry skillet over medium-low heat, shaking or stirring very frequently, for 1-2 minutes until lightly browned. Set aside to cool.
Combine all ingredients, tossing to mix well. Taste and adjust salt and red pepper, as needed. Serve immediately, or chill up to 24 hours and toss lightly before serving.
This dish works great for pot-luck events — especially with the red pepper omitted or served on the side, for spice-sensitive event attendees. Please use fresh lemon and herbs, for this dish: otherwise the nom factor will be significantly reduced.
For variety you can substitute bulgur, couscous, or quinoa for orzo pasta.
Image by the author.
Keep up with the latest sustainable food news by signing up for our free newsletter. CLICK HERE to sign up!