Published on February 20th, 2013 | by Tanya Sitton5
Vegan Recipe: Hearty Lentil Casserole
Serve this filling dish with crusty bread and mesclun salad, for a deliciously healthy homestyle meal!
- 3 cups dark vegetable broth (such as mushroom broth, or pre-mixed Better Than Bouillon No-Beef Base)
- 2 teaspoons extra-virgin olive oil
- 3/4 cup brown rice (or wild rice blend)
- 3/4 cup lentils
- 2 carrots, chopped
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- ½ tablespoon minced garlic
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper (or more, to taste)
- 2-3 dashes Tobasco-style hot sauce
- 1-2 dashes liquid smoke
- ¾ cup fresh tomato puree (or jarred crushed tomatoes, or tomato sauce)
- Fresh or dried chopped parsley, optional, to serve
Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
If using fresh tomatoes, drop about 2 small organic tomatoes (or one large one) in boiling water, until the skin splits. Cool, peel, and puree.
Combine all ingredients* in 9″ x 13″ casserole dish. Cover and bake for 1 hour to 1 hour 15 minutes, until lentils and rice are done and most liquid is absorbed. Sprinkle with parsley; serve and enjoy!
*If using fresh tomato puree: for best flavor stir puree into casserole after removing it from the oven, rather than before baking.
For soup or stew instead of a casserole, use 5 cups broth and an extra shake each of hot sauce and liquid smoke. Optional addition: mix 3/4 to 1 cup diced seitan roast or vegan sausage with other ingredients, before baking.
To make slow-cooker dark broth for this recipe, start with Easy Slow-Cooker Veggie Broth but also add about 1 cup dried shitake or porcini mushrooms. After straining cooked broth, for each 3 cups add 1/2 teaspoon vegan Worcestershire sauce, 1 teaspoon red wine, 1 teaspoon Marmite (or red miso), and salt and pepper to taste.