Published on February 11th, 2013 | by Reader Recipe0
Reader Recipe: Valentine’s Day Aphrodisiac: Mango Banana Smoothie
by Colleen Patrick-Goudreau, 30-Day Vegan Challenge
Got a healthy recipe that you’d like to share? Head over to our Submit a Recipe page!
For thousands of years, many different plant foods have been eaten for their “aphrodisiac qualities,” inspired by their alleged physical effects and also by their sensory characteristics (in other words, how they look, sound, smell, taste, or feel.) By definition, all “vegan” foods – that is, vegetables, fruits, nuts, seeds, grains, legumes, mushrooms, herbs, and spices – are all aphrodisiacal, because they increase blood flow. Some aphrodisiacs are considered such because of their texture. Apricots, mangoes, peaches, and tomatoes – also known as “love-apples” – are on the list of sensual foods primarily for their built-in succulence.
This smoothie, with the succulence of mangoes, is a perfect Valentine’s Day refresher. Although fresh (unfrozen) bananas work perfectly fine, using frozen bananas adds a wonderful thickness.
Valentine’s Day Aphrodisiac: Mango Banana Smoothie
Wheat-free, gluten-free, oil-free, soy-free if using soy-free milk and yogurt, tree-nut-free
Yield: One 16-ounce glass
- 1 or 2 ripe bananas, preferably those that have been peeled, cut into pieces, and frozen
- 1/2 cup or more frozen mango
- 1/4 cup frozen pineapple chunks
- 1/4 cup fresh orange juice
- 1/2 cup (or more) nondairy milk (soy, rice, almond, oat, hemp, or hazelnut)
- 1 tablespoon peanut butter
- 1 tablespoon ground flax seeds
- 1/4 cup non-dairy yogurt (optional)
- Add all the ingredients to a blender until thoroughly blended. You can make it thinner or thicker depending on your preference. Just vary the juice and milk for the consistency you prefer. Any blender will work, although a high-powered one, such as a Vitamix, creates the smoothest, creamiest consistency.
Copyright 2012 Compassionate Cooks, LLC/Colleen Patrick-Goudreau. All Rights Reserved.
Use the buttons to connect with EDB on some of your favorite social networks!