Published on January 28th, 2013 | by Reader Recipe0
Reader Recipe: Sweet Potato, Corn, and Kale Chowder
by Terry Walters, Saturday Evening Post
Got a healthy recipe that you’d like to share? Head over to our Submit a Recipe page!
When I prepare dinner, I try to make sure there’s something for everyone. This chowder accomplishes that in one pot and is a colorful variation on an old favorite. It cooks up quickly and provides a balanced meal, rich in nutrients, all in one satisfying bowl.
Sweet Potato, Corn, and Kale Chowder
- 1 tablespoon grapeseed oil
- 1 small onion, diced
- 3 stalks celery, diced
- 3 carrots, diced
- 3 medium sweet potatoes, peeled and diced
- 3 cups corn, fresh or frozen
- 2 teaspoons dried thyme
- 2 cups vegetable stock
- 2 cups rice milk, plus more if needed
- 2 tablespoons cashew butter, dissolved in 1/4 cup hot water
- 1 bunch kale, chopped into small pieces
- Water or stock as needed
- Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
- In large pot over medium heat, saute onion in oil until soft (about 3 minutes).
- Add celery, carrots, sweet potatoes, corn, thyme, and stock and simmer 5 minutes.
- Add enough rice milk to cover vegetables.
- Bring to boil, reduce heat and simmer until vegetables are soft (about 20 minutes).
- Remove from heat, and add dissolved cashew butter. Partially puree using handheld blender.
- Add kale, return to heat, thin with water or stock to achieve desired consistency, and cook until kale is tender.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper, and serve.