Published on January 2nd, 2013 | by Becky Striepe1
Eating Vegan: 10 Healthy Vegan Soup Recipes
Is it chilly where you are? Warm yourself from the inside out with some of these delicious vegan soup recipes!
Well, it’s officially winter, you guys! I mean, it’s been officially winter for a while now, but here in Atlanta at least, winter really rolled in over the past few weeks. We had our first freeze, and I think the days of shorts weather are probably behind us until at least mid-March.
I am a total baby about the cold. I grew up in South Florida, and even after over a decade living in a town that has actual seasons, my blood is still pretty thin. The cold, dark days of winter are a shock to my system every year, and a steamy bowl of soup is like a little hug that makes it just a bit easier for my body to deal with the constant chill.
So many soup recipes – even vegetable soups! – rely on bacon, meat, or meat-based broths as “seasoning,” but there are plenty of hearty, tasty, stick-to-the-ribs vegan soups that are just as tasty! These are my favorite vegan soup recipes to get me through the thick of winter:
1. Tofu and Kale Lemongrass Soup – The citrusy kick in this Asian-inspired soup is perfect for beating the winter blues!
2. Vegan Cream of Mushroom Soup – Rich, creamy, and earthy. This soup is total comfort food.
3. Healing Miso Soup – Another Asian soup! I love how versatile this recipe is. Really, you can use this base with any veggies you have on hand.
4. Perfect Split Pea Soup – If you can’t find the vegan ham that she used, about a teaspoon of liquid smoke will do the trick in its place!
5. Bistro Broccoli Chowder – A vegan take on broccoli cheese soup. You won’t miss the dairy!
6. Gingered Sweet Potato and Coconut Soup – I love a pureed soup, and the ginger gives it such a nice kick.
7. Crock Pot Callaloo – Hearty callaloo is so delicious, and making it in the crock pot means you can cook up a batch without a lot of work.
8. Middle Eastern Red Lentil Soup – This deeply seasoned soup is packed with yummy lentils!
9. North African Chickpea and Kale Soup – If you don’t have kale, you can use other dark, leafy greens like collards or turnip greens in this recipe.
10. -Spiced Pumpkin Soup – Just replace the butter in this recipe with Earth Balance or olive oil to make it totally vegan!
Do you have a go-to vegan soup recipe in winter? Tell us what’s cooking in the comments!
Keep up with the latest sustainable food news by signing up for our free newsletter. CLICK HERE to sign up!
Use the buttons to connect with EDB on some of your favorite social networks!