Yesterday we talked about organic junk food, and I promised that today I’d share some healthier ways to indulge over the holidays.
Like we talked about yesterday, junk food is still junk food, even if the ingredients are organic, and even the holiday treats I’m rounding up here are not totally health food. They’re just a bit better for you than the usual holiday fare. Holiday indulgences seem to fall into two categories: sweet and salty. So! Let’s take a look at how to satisfy your need for each with some treats that are a little bit lighter than your typical holiday food.
9 Healthy Holiday Sweet Treats
1. Fruit Salad – my mom makes the best fruit salads! The trick to a satisfying fruit salad is choosing good fruit. Back away from that honeydew melon, people! Choose organic berries, kiwi, citrus, pineapple, and any other fruits that are your favorites. Mom tops the whole thing with a splash of Manischewitz to make it extra decadent.
2. Raw-Inspired Caramel Pumpkin Cheesecake – this cake uses dates to supplement the sugar, so you have less of the refined stuff.
3. Raw Apple and Pear Tart – whole fruit and nuts are the stars here!
4. Homemade Caramel Corn – this recipe uses quite a bit of sugar, but it yields a ton of popcorn, so each serving is lighter on the sugar
5. Superfood Brownie Bites – these have way less sugar than most brownie recipes, and there’s a good helping of fiber to help your body handle the sugar
6. Avocado Chocolate Pudding – instead of dairy or soft tofu, this delicious pudding uses avocado as the base!
7. Chia Pudding – non-dairy milk + chia seeds makes a healthier pudding that’s packed with fiber and nutrients to balance out that sugar.
8. Vegan Cocoa Nib Bites – packed with oats, these cookies are a little bit healthier and your typical chocolate chip cookie. Instead of sugary chocolate chips, they use raw cocoa nibs, which have no added sugar.
9. Raw Apple Pie Crumble – this dessert gets its sweetness from the apples, not from added sugar
photo by Becky Striepe
- 1 2