Published on August 30th, 2012 | by Guest Contributor4
8 Water Myths and Facts
This is a guest post from our sponsors Thirsty 4 Water.
Water is important, we all know that. But what you may not know is the falsity of many claims about water and a few common myths that you may not be aware of! So to celebrate the range of water coolers from Thirsty 4 Water, here are eight of them!
1: Myth – Bottled Water has more minerals
Interestingly, unless you live in a third world country, or one that currently has water quality problems, the water that you buy in shops may in fact have fewer minerals than ordinary tap water. The fluorides in tap water to help strengthen teeth are also not present in many bottled waters.
Using tap water also helps protect the environment as the resources and energy involved in the production and delivery of bottled water is so high that it is actually counterproductive. According to some sources, it actually takes 1.85 gallons of water to manufacture one bottle of commercial water.
2: Myth – VitaminWater is better for you
According to Manuel Villacorta, spokesman for the American Dietetic Association, “these drinks contain extra sugars and calories that you don’t need.”
Whereas VitaminWater can provide you with certain vitamins that are good for your health, it is far better to get what you need from vegetables, fruits and other whole foods; it is advised that you get your fluids with naturally sourced tap water.
3: Fact – The Average American uses around 80 gallons of water a day
It’s true! Individually we use quite a lot of water. In fact much of it goes down the drain when we flush the toilet. In total, the United States uses 346,000 million gallons of fresh water every single day, and 80% of that is for irrigation and thermoelectric power.
Out of all U.S. residents, 85 percent receive water from public water facilities and the remaining 15 percent have their own water supplies such as private wells.
4: Myth – Being thirsty is all down to dehydration
Although many of the problems that you will encounter through thirst are due to the fact that your body is dehydrated, there can be other reasons for a feeling excessively thirsty.
For example, eating an ever so slightly heavy meal can actually raise your thirst levels, especially when you have been feasting on a particularly dry meal. Another reason – which is more detrimental – could be a consequence of diabetes. Thirst is common amongst sufferers of the disease.
5: Myth – Drinking water at night will speed your metabolism
Unfortunately this is an untruth. What is more likely to happen is a troubled night of sleep and a full bladder. Actually, some people actually drink lots of water before they go to bed in order to get up earlier in the morning via the need to relieve their bladder.
6: Myth – Staying in the pool means that you won’t dehydrate.
This is a common mistake for people on beach vacation. Unfortunately, you definitely can get dehydrated in a swimming pool.
When you’re surrounded with water in a swimming pool, you may not realize the sweat that you’re expelling. It’s important to keep some water handy so that you can hydrate when you’re at the pool. While we’re on the subject, did you know it’s a myth that you have to wait one hour after eating in order to swim?
7: Fact – We don’t use much of the Earth’s water.
Not all of the water on earth is available for drinking. In fact, we only can use only about 30% of the total amount of water on the planet. Interestingly, despite that 70 percent of the surface of the earth is covered by water, much of the planet’s supply is located underground.
8: Fact – You need on average 2.5 litres of water per day.
At a bare minimum, your body needs around 2.5 litres a day (around eight eight-ounce glasses ), and you need more if you plan to do any exercise or sport during the day. Although this may seem like a large amount, if you learn to drink more and more water throughout the day it will become less of a chore. As your body becomes more accustomed to being hydrated, you’ll know easily when your levels are running low.
Image Credit: Water Myths and Facts image via Shutterstock
Keep up with the latest sustainable food news by signing up for our free newsletter. CLICK HERE to sign up!