Published on June 9th, 2012 | by The Healthy Voyager0
Vegan Father’s Day Food
Summer time is synonymous with grillin’ and chillin’. And who does that better than dad? This Father’s Day, give him the day off from the flaming grill and serve him up a dad-sized vegan meal that’s fit for a king! We’ve got a great menu below for your dad’s day feast!
Fill a pint glass a little more than halfway with a pale ale, well chilled. Top off slowly with ginger beer.
Spicy Cauliflower “Wings” With Blue “Cheese” Dip
Spicy Wing Sauce
- 8 tablespoons hot sauce
- 8 tablespoons vegan butter
- 1 1/2 tablespoons white vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon vegan Worcestershire sauce
- salt to taste
Mix all the ingredients in a saucepan, and over low heat bring to a simmer, stirring occasionally, and then turn off.
Blue Cheese Dip
- 1/4 block of firm tofu, pressed, drained and crumbled
- 1/2 teaspoon of garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 cup veganaise
- 1/2 cup vegan sour cream
- 1/4 teaspoon tahini
- 1/4 teaspoon yellow miso paste
- 1 teaspoon lemon juice (add more to taste for desired tang)
- 1/2 teaspoon white vinegar (add more to taste for desired tang)
- 1/2 teaspoon dill ((add more to taste for desired flavor)
- Salt, to taste
Mix all ingredients, minus the tofu, until well incorporated and smooth. Mix in the crumbled tofu and chill until ready to serve.
Cauliflower “Wings” Ingredients
- 1 head of cauliflower, cut into florets
- 1 cup of flour
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1 1/2 cups of seltzer water
- Salt, to taste
Cauliflower “Wings” Cooking Directions
- Combine cauliflower ingredients, minus the cauliflower, until well incorporated.
- Pour about 1 inch of a high smoking point oil (safflower, sunflower, etc.) on the bottom of a frying pan or wok and bring up to medium heat. Once oil is hot but not smoking, dip the florets in the batter, making sure they are well coated. Fry them until they are lightly brown, a few at a time, do not crowd the pan. When they’ve cooked, place them on a paper towel lined plate to drain.
- Toss cauliflower in Buffalo Sauce, making sure they are coated well and serve with blue cheese dip.
Chipotle BBQ BLT(A)
- Chipotle bbq aioli (recipe below)
- 8 slices sourdough bread
- 1 package vegan bacon (preferably tempeh bacon)
- 4 large romaine lettuce leaves, washed and dried
- 2 large tomatoes, sliced
- 1 large ripe avocado, sliced
Toast the bread and pan fry the vegan bacon until crisp. Slather all bread slices with Chipotle BBQ aioli. Top 4 slices with lettuce, folded if needed to fit the bread slice. Top with vegan bacon, tomoato slices, salt and pepper to taste and avocado slices. Top sandwiches with remaining slices, cut in half and enjoy.
BBQ Aioli Ingredients
- 1 cup veganaise
- 1/4 teaspoon lemon juice (to help separation)
- 2 to 4 ounces extra virgin olive oil
- 1-2 tablespoons chipoltle pepper adobo sauce (juice from peppers, not the peppers themselves)
- 1 tablespoons garlic, fresh (minced or pureed)
- 1-2 tablespoons vegan bbq sauce
BBQ Aioli Directions
Place veganaise in a bowl and whisk in olive oil until blended, add a few drops lemon juice if it starts to separate. Add all other ingredients, blend, and allow the mixture to stand for approximately 30 minutes.
Red Velvet Cheesecake
- 1 1/2 cups vegan chocolate sandwich cookie tops, crushed (like Oreos with creme removed)
- 1/4 cup vegan butter, melted
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 3 (8-ounce) packages vegan cream cheese, softened
- 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar
- 1/2 block of silken tofu, pressed and drained
- 3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
- 1 cup vegan sour cream
- 1/2 cup vegan buttermilk(1 cup plain soy milk with 1 teaspoon of apple cider or coconut water vinegar, set aside to curdle for at least 15 minutes )
- 2 teaspoons vanilla extract
- 1 teaspoon distilled white vinegar
- 2 (1-ounce) bottles organic red food coloring
- 1 (3-ounce) package vegan cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup vegan butter, softened
- 2 cups powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Stir together cookie crumbs, melted butter, and 1 tablespoon granulated sugar; press mixture into bottom of a 9-inch springform pan.
- Beat 3 (8-ounce) packages cream cheese and 1 1/2 cups granulated sugar at medium-low speed with an electric mixer 1 minute. Add silken tofu and next 6 ingredients (up through food coloring), mixing on low speed just until fully combined. Pour batter into prepared crust.
- Bake at 325° for 10 minutes; reduce heat to 300°, and bake for 1 hour and 15 minutes or until center is firm. Run knife along outer edge of cheesecake. Turn oven off. Let cheesecake stand in oven 30 minutes. Remove cheesecake from oven; cool in pan on a wire rack 30 minutes. Cover and chill 8 hours.
- Beat 1 (3-ounce) package cream cheese and 1/4 cup butter at medium speed with an electric mixer until smooth; gradually add powdered sugar and vanilla, beating until smooth. Spread evenly over top of cheesecake. Remove sides of springform pan. Garnish, if desired.