Published on May 15th, 2012 | by Becky Striepe0
In Season Now: Health Benefits of Parsley + 10 Parsley Recipes
You might think of parsley as a garnish, but did you know that this humble herb is actually a nutritional powerhouse?
A cup of fresh parsley has only 22 calories and is packed with vitamins and minerals. According to USDA nutrient database, it’s contains high amounts of iron, magnesium, potassium, vitamins A and K and a slough of other micronutrients.
If you’re used to that paltry sprig of parsley that comes alongside a restaurant meal, you are missing out! Not only is parsley super healthy, it’s super delicious. Here are 10 parsley recipes to help you enjoy this beneficial herb that’s in season now!
- Alton Brown’s Parsley Salad
- Red Pepper and Spicy Chickpeas
- Chimichurri is one of my favorite parsley recipes. This tasty sauce is great on….everything!
- Quinoa Tabbouleh with Parsley and Mint
- Roasted Carrot, Preserved Lemon, and Barley Salad
- Parsnip Soup with Leeks and Parsley (You can use olive oil in place of butter and veggie stock instead of chicken to make this a vegan recipe.
- Red Wine Spaghetti with Walnuts and Parsley
- Cauliflower Scallion Bean-Free Hummus
- Parsley Pesto Pasta
- Persimmon, Parsley and Olive Salad
Once you start cooking with parsley, you won’t want to stop! I also love a handful of parsley as the green in my morning smoothie. It blends up smooth and fresh. It might sound a little weird, but don’t knock it ’til you try it!
Do you have any favorite parsley recipes? I’d love to hear how you’re eating your parsley in the comments!
[Image Credit: Parsley. Creative Commons photo by fairytalelights]