Published on April 27th, 2012 | by Jennifer Kaplan0
Jack Herer Hemp Cookies [Recipe]
As a follow-up to last week’s Q&A with Elise McDonough, author of The Official High Times Cannabis Cookbook, I thought we should check out a recipe.
Jack Herer, the author of The Emperor Wears No Clothes, a groundbreaking work about hemp that sparked a grass-roots movement, was a tireless champion of the cannabis plant. Herer used cannabis as a medicine and as inspiration while traveling the world inciting people to re-legalize the hemp plant so they could benefit from its myriad industrial uses, including food, biofuel, textiles, construction materials, and body-care products.
After undergoing double-bypass heart surgery in 2005, he was unable to smoke his favorite herb, so his good friend and colleague Mary Aught-Six baked up a batch of these heart-healthy hemp cookies for him to enjoy. Mary used whole rolled grains, hemp flour, weed-infused margarine, and Splenda sugar replacement to make a sweet treat that’s also full of nutrition. These cookies are diabetic-friendly and low in saturated fat (if you use cannamargarine).
Something to consider before diving into cannabis cooking: When asked in a Huffington Post interview for advice for the budding cannabis chef, McDonough answered:
Low and slow. That goes for both eating and cooking. When you are eating, you want to start with a low dose and go slow. Wait an hour to see how it effects you. Same with cooking. Simmer low and slow.
Jack Herer Hemp Cookies
Yield: 24 Cookies
- 1 ½ cups (3 sticks) cannamargarine (or cannabutter if you aren’t looking for a low-fat recipe)
- 2 ¼ cups hemp flour (available at health food stores or online at manitobaharvest.com)
- 1 ½ teaspoons baking soda
- 1 teaspoon salt
- ¼ cup firmly packed light brown sugar
- 2 cups Splenda granulated sweetener or equivalent natural sugar replacement
- 1 ½ teaspoons vanilla extract
- 3 eggs
- 3 cups five-grain rolled cereal
- 1 cup walnut halves, coarsely chopped
- 1 cup dried cranberries
- 1 cup roasted hemp seed
- 1 cup golden raisins
- In a double-broiler, melt cannamargarine over medium heat. Continue heating over low heat for 45 minutes to 1 hour, until the cannabis is brown and crispy.
- Pre-heat the oven to 375°F.
- Lightly grease two cookie sheets and set aside.
- In a large bowl, sift together hemp flour, baking soda, and salt.
- In another bowl, blend the melted cannamargarine, brown sugar, sweetener, vanilla, and ¾ cup water together, Beat eggs and add to cannamargarine mixture, then stir into flour mixture. Add cereal, walnuts, dried cranberries, hemp seed, and raisins. Mix well.
- Form dough into walnut-sized pieces and place onto the prepared baking sheets. Bake for 10-12 minutes. Cookies should be soft in the center, with light brown edges. Cool on racks.
Keep up with the latest sustainable food news by signing up for our free newsletter. CLICK HERE to sign up!
Use the buttons to connect with EDB on some of your favorite social networks!