Published on March 28th, 2012 | by Becky Striepe5
8 Tasty Lettuce Recipes – No Salads Here!
Spring is here, and we’re already knee deep in lettuce thanks to our local CSA. My husband and I aren’t big salad eaters, and I always feel guilty for tossing those bags of browned lettuce into the compost at the end of the week.
Since I bet I’m not the only one having trouble with the lettuce bounty, I thought I’d share some salad-free lettuce recipes that I’ve been digging lately!
1. This lettuce soup at Epicurious is creamy and delicious! Sub out olive oil for the butter, and it’s totally vegan. Yum!
2. Simple lettuce wraps from Pioneed Woman are tasty and satisfying.
3. Grill it! if you’ve got heartier lettuces, like romaine or endive, try making grilled lettuce as a side dish.
4. Make a lettuce pesto by using half herbs and half lettuce, nuts of your choice, a little lemon juice, and plenty of olive oil. It’s great on pasta!
5. Use lettuce as the greens in your next green smoothie.
6. Add lettuce to your next curry. You want to toss it in at the very end, just to let the leaves wilt. Most lettuces cook very fast–faster than spinach!
7. If grilling’s not your thing, try making a lettuce stir fry.
8. Whip up some braised peas with scallions and lettuce. To make this recipe vegan, use olive oil instead of butter and veggie broth instead of chicken broth.
Have you discovered any yummy lettuce recipes that are not salad? I’d love to hear your ideas in the comments!