Published on January 21st, 2012 | by Heather Nauta3
Moroccan Chickpea Stew Recipe + Video
This Moroccan chickpea stew is wonderful and easy vegan recipe made on the stove or in a slow cooker (if you’re on a time budget). The smell is amazing, and the taste is even better. To see exactly how easy it is, you can watch a video of the whole process.
My mom made this one night after a long hike, along with sweet potato biscuits and a fresh salad, and it was such a satisfying meal. When done in the slow cooker, the chickpeas expand and really absorb the rich flavors of the spices.
Although the ingredient list might seem intimidating at first, the use of herbs and spices will take your cooking to another level. Healthy vegan recipes can be so rich and interesting if you get the flavors working together.
Individual spices make it easy to control the flavor and make a variety of different dishes, but you can also use spice mixes if you have them on hand. Adding one or two different flavors in addition to the spice mix will still give some variety but keep your spice rack simple.
Prep time: 15 minutes
Cooking Time: 30 minutes
Time from start to eating: 45 minutes
Makes 4 bowls.
Moroccan Chickpea Stew Ingredients
- 1 tsp olive oil
- 1 large onion, chopped
- 1 small piece of ginger, minced (or 1/2 tsp ground ginger)*
- 1 carrot, chopped
- 1 zucchini, diced
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp ground cumin*
- 1/2 tsp ground turmeric*
- 1/4 tsp paprika*
- 1 16-ounce can diced tomatoes
- 2 cups vegetable stock or water
- pinch saffron (optional), soaked in 1 Tbsp hot water
- Salt and pepper, to taste
- 1 apple or pear, chopped
- 1/2 cup dried apricots, chopped
- 1 lemon, zested and juiced
- 2 1/2 cups cooked or canned chickpeas (about 2 14 oz cans, or 1 1/2 19 oz cans)
- 2 Tbsp minced fresh mint and/or parsley
- 2 Tbsp sesame seeds (optional)
*If you don’t have individual spices, you can use 1 tsp of your favorite curry powder, along with the 1/2 tsp of cinnamon.
- Heat a large soup pot over medium heat until hot. Add the oil and onion, and saute until softened, then add the ginger (if you’re using ground ginger, add it with the spices later). Add the carrot and zucchini, stir and cook for 2 minutes, or until they’ve just started to sweat.
- Add the cumin, cinnamon, turmeric, paprika, and pepper and saute for a minute or two. Stir in the tomatoes, stock or water, saffron, salt, apple or pear, apricots, lemon zest and juice, and chickpeas. Reduce the heat to low, and simmer for 30 minutes.
- You can also saute the vegetables in a small pan, then transfer to a slow cooker with the rest of the ingredients. Turn to high heat until the stew gets to a simmer, then turn to low and leave for about 4 hours.
- Just before serving, stir in the mint or parsley, spoon into bowls and sprinkle with the sesame seeds.
Image Credit: Heather Nauta of HealthyVeganRecipes.net
Keep up with the latest sustainable food news by signing up for our free newsletter. CLICK HERE to sign up!
Use the buttons to connect with EDB on some of your favorite social networks!