Published on January 15th, 2012 | by The Healthy Voyager0
Mashed Cauliflower: A Healthier Mashed Potato Alternative
It’s the new year and you’re looking for ways to eat your favorite foods in a healthier, lighter way. Well, if mashed potatoes are a weakness, you’ll love this veggie-packed alternative to your favorite comfort food! Even if you scoff at cauliflower, you’ll never know that this mashed cauliflower isn’t made from a spud!
Vegan Mashed Cauliflower Recipe
- 1 medium head cauliflower
- 1 tablespoon vegan cream cheese, softened
- 1/4 cup nutritional yeast
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1/8 teaspoon vegan chicken bullion (may substitute 1/2 teaspoon salt)
- 1/8 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon chopped fresh or dry chives, for garnish
- 3 tablespoons olive oil or vegan butter
- Set a stockpot of water to boil over high heat.
- Clean and cut cauliflower into small pieces. Cook in boiling water for about 6 minutes, or until well done. Drain well; do not let cool and pat cooked cauliflower very dry between several layers of paper towels.
- In a bowl with an immersion blender, or in a food processor, puree the hot cauliflower with the cream cheese, nutritional yeast, garlic, bullion and pepper until almost smooth.
- Garnish with chives, and serve hot drizzled with olive oil or with pats of butter.
Try roasting the garlic and adding a little fresh rosemary for a whole new taste.
Keep up with the latest sustainable food news by signing up for our free newsletter. CLICK HERE to sign up!
Use the buttons to connect with EDB on some of your favorite social networks!