Published on June 10th, 2011 | by Jeannie Moulton2
Try a Mojito for your Next Party
- 1.5 oz light rum
- about 12 fresh mint leaves
- 4 lime wedges
- ice cubes
- soda water
- 2 tbsp of simple sugar (2 parts dissolved sugar to 1 part water)
- sugar cane, quartered lengthwise
- Cocktail shaker (or just a pint glass will do)
- Meddlers (or spoon)
- Pilsner or other tall glass
- Squeeze the lime wedges into the cocktail shaker, and then put the used limes into the glass. (If you don’t have a cocktail shaker or are making a pitcher’s worth, just use the container and stir instead of shake.)
- Place mint leaves into the shaker. Using a meddler, or a spoon if you don’t have a meddler, crush the mint leaves until they become bruised.
- Add the rum, simple syrup and ice. Cover the shaker and shake until blended.
- Fill a the pilsner glass with ice and depending if you want the bits (I like the mint and lime bits) either dump or strain the mixture over the ice. Top off with soda water, add a spring of mint and a length of sugar cane as a garnish.