Published on May 21st, 2011 | by Peter J Levine1
Braised Collard Greens (vegan recipe!)
I’d never tried collard greens before, but I have been intrigued by them for a long time so I decided to take a shot. Since they are a little tougher than kale, I opted to braise them instead of pan frying to add a bit of moisture to the mix.
Braised Collard Greens
- Virgin olive oil to cover the bottom of the pan + you may need a little bit more
- 1 large bunch of collards: cut off the stems and slice with a rough cut
- 6 medium sized cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup veggie broth – this will eliminate the need for extra salt which is not healthy anyway
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Heat the pan and add the olive oil.
- Add the collards and about 1/2 of the garlic and start tossing the mixture.
- When the collards have wilted, add the rest of the garlic and toss for about another minute.
- Add the veggie broth and the white wine.
- Turn up the heat and let the liquid evaporate, then add the black pepper.
I served these with fried eggplant and tomato sauce.
Image Credit: Creative Commons photo by arvindgrover
Keep up with the latest sustainable food news by signing up for our free newsletter. CLICK HERE to sign up!
Use the buttons to connect with EDB on some of your favorite social networks!