Published on May 21st, 2011 | by Peter J Levine1
Braised Collard Greens (vegan recipe!)
I’d never tried collard greens before, but I have been intrigued by them for a long time so I decided to take a shot. Since they are a little tougher than kale, I opted to braise them instead of pan frying to add a bit of moisture to the mix.
Braised Collard Greens
- Virgin olive oil to cover the bottom of the pan + you may need a little bit more
- 1 large bunch of collards: cut off the stems and slice with a rough cut
- 6 medium sized cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/2 cup veggie broth – this will eliminate the need for extra salt which is not healthy anyway
- 1/4 cup dry white wine
- Freshly ground black pepper, to taste
- Heat the pan and add the olive oil.
- Add the collards and about 1/2 of the garlic and start tossing the mixture.
- When the collards have wilted, add the rest of the garlic and toss for about another minute.
- Add the veggie broth and the white wine.
- Turn up the heat and let the liquid evaporate, then add the black pepper.
I served these with fried eggplant and tomato sauce.
Image Credit: Creative Commons photo by arvindgrover