Published on March 22nd, 2011 | by Becky Striepe0
Vegan Cupcake Recipe: Smoky Tempeh Cupakes with Chocolate Frosting
My birthday was last week, and on Saturday, a friend and I spent the afternoon making cupcakes for the party that night. We made two sorts of vegan cupcakes: smoky tempeh with chocolate frosting and hummingbird with cream cheese frosting.
We used the hummingbird cupcake recipe from Kitchen La Boheme with just a few changes:
- Added 1c chopped pecans to the batter.
- Baked for 22 minutes instead of 25-27. You want a toothpick to come out clean, but you don’t want to overbake. Start with 22 minutes, and test every couple of minutes until they’re done.
- Topped the frosted cupcakes with cinnamon and a vegan marshmallow.
They came out great! I thought the marshmallow at the top gave them a real Southern flair…sort of an ambrosia salad-type feel!
The tempeh cupcakes took a bit more adapting, so I’m going to include the whole thing here for you guys.
Smoky Tempeh Vegan Cupcakes with Chocolate Frosting
Adapted from Yummytime.
Prep time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 20 minutes
Total time: 40 minutes
Yield: 18 cupcakes
- 3/4 c margarine
- 1c vegan sugar
- 1 1/2c cake flour, sifted
- 1 1/2t baking powder
- 1/4t salt
- 1/2c almond milk
- 3/4t vanilla extract
- EnerG Egg Replacer for 3 eggs, liquid included
- 1 package Fakin’ Bacon, chopped
- 1T olive oil
- 2T brown sugar
- 1/2c non-hydrogenated vegetable shortening
- 1/4c margarine
- 6T cocoa powder
- 2t vanilla extract
- up to 1/4c almond milk
- Preheat the oven to 350F.
- Combine the first 8 ingredients plus one cup of the tempeh and mix until smooth.
- Pour the batter into a lined cupcake pan, filling each liner 3/4 full, and bake for 20 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean.
- Meanwhile, heat the oil in a small skillet and sautee the leftover Fakin’ Bacon with the sugar for a few minutes, until browned. Set aside to cool.
- Whisk together the shortening, the 1/4c margarine, cocoa powder, and vanilla extract until there are no lumps. Add the almond milk 1T at a time, until you get a nice, stiff frosting.
- Once the cupcakes are cool, frost each one and top with a couple of pieces of the Fakin’ Bacon.