Published on February 16th, 2011 | by Jeannie Moulton7
Eating Vegan: Red Lentil and Rice Veggie Burgers with a Kick
Veggie burgers get a bad rep for being fake meat, but my general philosophy for eating vegan (or vegetarian) is not to replace meat, but to enjoy vegetables, fruits and grains for what they are. However, this doesn’t mean that you can’t steal a few ideas from food with meat that already exists.
Veggie burgers are good and good for you.
If you’ve never tried a veggie burger, you should try this one! Beware, it tastes nothing like a meat burger (I think it’s better), so don’t expect that, but it has a good mix of flavors, a nice texture…and it’s healthy.
Red lentil and rice veggie burger
This recipe make 8 patties, which with buns and toppings will feed between 4 and 6 people, inclusive.
Each burger patty contain approximately 200 calories, 4 grams of fiber, 8 grams of protein, 12 % of daily iron, and significant amounts of 13 other vitamins and minerals. This analysis does not include any bun or toppings you may put on; it is just for a single patty.
- 1 cup of red lentils, prepared, slightly overcooked
- 1 cup of brown rice, prepared, slightly overcooked
- 3 cloves of garlic, minced
- 1/2 of a medium onion, finely chopped
- 1 red bell pepper, finely chopped
- 1 carrot, grated
- 1 tbsp chili powder
- 1/2 tbsp of curry powder
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 2 tbsp of olive oil
- salt and black pepper to taste
- focaccia rolls
- rocket (arugula)
- barbeque sauce
- Preheat oven to 450°, along with two metal jelly pans.
- Combine all ingredients in a large bowl. Stir until ingredients are throughly blended.
- Take the pans out of the oven (make sure they are hot!). Form eight patties (four on each pan). They should sizzle on the hot pans to brown the bottoms.
- Place pans back in the oven and bake for 10-20 minutes, just until the tops begin to brown a tiny bit. You may need to switch the pans around half way through so they are evenly baked.
- Serve on roll or pita and top with your favorite toppings.
A black bean veggie burger
Here’s a great black bean veggie burger recipe from Zack in case you prefer black beans to red lentins.
p.s. my favorite to eat this veggie burger is with hummus and rocket served on a focaccia roll.
Nutrition data taken from fitday
Photo credit: Flickr Creative Commons by mlinksva
Keep up with the latest sustainable food news by signing up for our free newsletter. CLICK HERE to sign up!