Published on December 14th, 2010 | by Peter J Levine1
One Pot Meals: Tomato Basil Soup
Here’s a simple recipe for a hearty, vegan tomato basil soup.
Just a note: All cooking is done at a medium boil with the top off the soup pot.
4T Virgin olive oil
2 boxes of diced tomatoes
1 1/2c of veggie stock
2 medium sized onions – chopped (I like them chunky but some like ‘em diced)
6-8 cloves of garlic, sliced
1 small can tomato paste
3-4 medium sized tomatoes
2 stalks of celery, sliced
1/2c red wine (burgundy, Chianti, whatever you prefer is fine)
30 (yes, 30) basil leaves sliced and diced
Spices – salt and pepper to taste and a minimal amount of sugar at the end to cut some of the acid in all the tomatoes.
In your favorite soup pot add the oil to a warming pot.
1. Saute the onions and celery until translucent.
2. Add the garlic and stir for about a minute.
3. Add the boxed tomatoes, the tomato paste and the red wine – cook for about 1/2 hour.
4. Add the veggie broth and the diced tomatoes.
5. Flavor with the salt and pepper to taste – cook for another 15-20 minutes.
6. Add a little bit of sugar to cut the acid – I like about 1 tsp of white sugar.
7. Add the basil leaves and cook for about another 10 minutes.
This can be served with a crusty bread or make some fresh croutons. You can also float some toasted baguette slices on top with cheese or vegan cheese substitute. ENJOY
Image Credit: Creative Commons photo by mccheek