Published on December 14th, 2010 | by Peter J Levine1
Tomato Basil Soup is an Easy One Pot Meal
Here’s a simple recipe for a hearty, vegan tomato basil soup.
Just a note: All cooking is done at a medium boil with the top off the soup pot.
4 tablespoons Virgin olive oil
2 boxes of diced tomatoes
1 1/2 cups of veggie stock
2 medium sized onions – chopped (I like them chunky but some like ‘em diced)
6-8 cloves of garlic, sliced
1 small can tomato paste
3-4 medium sized tomatoes
2 stalks of celery, sliced
1/2 cup red wine (burgundy, Chianti, whatever you prefer is fine)
30 (yes, 30) basil leaves sliced and diced
Spices – salt and pepper to taste and a minimal amount of sugar at the end to cut some of the acid in all the tomatoes.
1. In your favorite soup pot add the oil to a warming pot.
2. Saute the onions and celery until translucent.
3. Add the garlic and stir for about a minute.
4. Add the boxed tomatoes, the tomato paste and the red wine – cook for about 1/2 hour.
5. Add the veggie broth and the diced tomatoes.
6. Flavor with the salt and pepper to taste – cook for another 15-20 minutes.
7. Add a little bit of sugar to cut the acid – I like about 1 tsp of white sugar.
8. Add the basil leaves and cook for about another 10 minutes.
This can be served with a crusty bread or make some fresh croutons. You can also float some toasted baguette slices on top with cheese or vegan cheese substitute. ENJOY
Image Credit: Creative Commons photo by mccheek
Keep up with the latest sustainable food news by signing up for our free newsletter. CLICK HERE to sign up!
Use the buttons to connect with EDB on some of your favorite social networks!