Published on December 14th, 2010 | by Peter J Levine1
Tomato Basil Soup is an Easy One Pot Meal
Here’s a simple recipe for a hearty, vegan tomato basil soup.
Just a note: All cooking is done at a medium boil with the top off the soup pot.
4 tablespoons Virgin olive oil
2 boxes of diced tomatoes
1 1/2 cups of veggie stock
2 medium sized onions – chopped (I like them chunky but some like ‘em diced)
6-8 cloves of garlic, sliced
1 small can tomato paste
3-4 medium sized tomatoes
2 stalks of celery, sliced
1/2 cup red wine (burgundy, Chianti, whatever you prefer is fine)
30 (yes, 30) basil leaves sliced and diced
Spices – salt and pepper to taste and a minimal amount of sugar at the end to cut some of the acid in all the tomatoes.
1. In your favorite soup pot add the oil to a warming pot.
2. Saute the onions and celery until translucent.
3. Add the garlic and stir for about a minute.
4. Add the boxed tomatoes, the tomato paste and the red wine – cook for about 1/2 hour.
5. Add the veggie broth and the diced tomatoes.
6. Flavor with the salt and pepper to taste – cook for another 15-20 minutes.
7. Add a little bit of sugar to cut the acid – I like about 1 tsp of white sugar.
8. Add the basil leaves and cook for about another 10 minutes.
This can be served with a crusty bread or make some fresh croutons. You can also float some toasted baguette slices on top with cheese or vegan cheese substitute. ENJOY
Image Credit: Creative Commons photo by mccheek
Keep up with the latest sustainable food news by signing up for our free newsletter. CLICK HERE to sign up!