Think eating seasonally means forgoing green, leafy vegetables over the winter months? Think again. Kale is a cold-weather green that is at its peak late fall through early spring.
If you didn’t grow any kale in your garden this year, you can usually find this superfood at winter farmers markets, your local food co-op, larger grocery stores, or in your CSA share during winter months.
There are many different varieties of kale, ranging from dark green to purple and from flat to ruffled specimens. They’re typically interchangeable in recipes.
Since kale is extremely high in nutrition but low in calories (only 30 per cup), it’s the perfect food to eat when you’re trying to ward off holiday weight gain. It can also help keep you healthy during cold and flu season. Here are ten of my favorite vegan and vegetarian kale recipes:
1. Kale Chips (vegan) -Addictively crunchy and salty, but low in calories.
2. Grilled Coconut Kale (vegan) – A genius invention.
3. Raw Tuscan Kale Salad (vegetarian) – The best way to harness kale’s nutritional power is to eat it raw. And with a salad this delicious, why wouldn’t you?
4. Kale and Avocado Salad (vegan) – A raw, refreshing, Japanese-inspired salad.
5. Kale With Lemon-Balsamic Butter (vegetarian) – A delicious and healthful side-dish.
6. Farro Salad With Roasted Kale and Beets (vegetarian) – The nutty flavor of farro, one of my favorite grains, pairs perfectly with kale and beets – another superfood that’s available all winter long.
7. North African Chickpea And Kale Soup (vegan) – A perfect lunch for when you’re trying to get your diet back on track after holiday feasting.
8. Cannellini and Kale Ragout (vegan) – A cross between a soup and a stew, and very comforting on a chilly evening.
9. White Bean, Butternut Squash, Kale, and Olive Stew (vegetarian) – The olives make the dish. I substitute roasted red bell peppers that I froze last summer for the fresh ones to avoid buying imported peppers.
10. Winter Greens Lasagna (vegetarian) – Even people who don’t get jazzed up about cooking greens will enjoy the earthy flavor kale brings to this creamy casserole.