Food Safety eating vegan

Published on August 25th, 2010 | by Jeannie Moulton

Eating Vegan: Looking for Egg Replacements during the Egg Recall? Ask a Vegan.

eating vegan

Eggs are everywhere in recipes – especially in breakfast and goodies – and you may find yourself in a bind with the egg recallVegans get around the egg problem all of the time and most of the solutions are already in your kitchen.

It can be difficult to replace eggs in something like quiche or omelets (though it is possible), but in recipes that just use eggs as a minor ingredient, there are many vegan options for egg replacement.

What an egg does

Within a recipe, an egg adds moisture and also performs one of two functions: leavening or binding.

When the egg is binding, it means that it is holding everything in the recipe together.  A binding agent is what makes food stick together.

When an egg is a leavening agent, it means that the egg is trapping air inside the food as it cooks.  For example, this gives nice and fluffy cake.

Binding replacements for denser treats like bread, muffins, pancakes and meatloaf

You know an egg is a binding agent if there is very little to no beating required, such as in brownies and cookies.  Depending on what goes well with your recipe, you can use one of the following items as a binding replacement for one egg:

• Half of a banana, mashed
  • 1/4 cup of applesauce
  • 1/4 cup of mashed potatoes

Try this breakfast bread recipe.

Leavening replacement for lighter goodies like cake

An egg is a leavener when there is a lot of beating required, such as with cakes and meringues.  When an egg is leavening, it is more difficult to replace.  Generally, the more eggs there are to replace, the less satisfied you may be with the results.  For recipes with only a few eggs, try these replacements for one leavening egg:

• Half of banana, mashed, plus 1/4 teaspoon baking powder
  • 1 1/2 teaspoon Ener-G Egg Replacer, plus 2 tablespoons warm water
  • 1 teaspoon baking powder, plus 1 teaspoon vinegar

Try this vegan cake recipeor this one.

Replacements for recipes where egg is a main ingredient

You’re probably out of luck if you wish to make angel food cake or eggs benedict, but you can try to use tofu to make scrambled “eggs” or quiche.

Tofu is not for everyone, but it has the texture of cooked eggs can taste really good when properly prepared.  It absorbs the flavor of the food it is cooking with, so use lots of delicious vegetables and seasonings.

If you’ve never tried tofu before, try these recipes with an open mind, and you won’t be disappointed:

Vegan Spinach Mushroom Quiche

Tofu Scrambled Eggs

Vegan crust for pie or quiche

Just because there is a massive egg recall doesn’t mean that you can’t make your breakfast and goodies.

References:

Image credit:

Flickr Creative Commons by Public Domain Photo

Keep up with the latest sustainable food news by signing up for our free newsletter. CLICK HERE to sign up!

Tags: , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , , ,

I spent the last five years earning my PhD in Engineering. I enjoy all types of science and writing, so I am trying out a new career path in science publication and communication. Recently, I have moved to Oxford, England. As an environmentally-conscious person, Oxford is a great place to live...notably there is no car required. I love to talk about vegan cooking, plant-based diets and the benefits of such, so just ask if you are interested. I do ballet for fun and love kitties.

11 Responses to Eating Vegan: Looking for Egg Replacements during the Egg Recall? Ask a Vegan.

1. Angie says:

Thanks for that. Very interesting to understand how eggs work as ingredients. Let’s hope the vegans get out there and educate the public!

2. M Fruth says:

I would like to know where vegans obtain the trace elements Vitamins B-12 & D-3. Vegetarians obtain them from dairy products or yeast. No vegan food I know of contains them, not even soy, which is the only vegan complete protein in and of itself alone.

Vitamin B-12 deficiency takes 10-15 years to develop, but by the time you have symptoms, you also have permanent, irreversible nerve damage. What’s a prospective vegan to do?

• Good question! I’ll need to look into D-3. Vegans also eat nutritional yeast, and there are some other sources, too! We actually have an older Eating Vegan post on that very topic:

Good luck on your vegan quest! If there’s more info you need, don’t hesitate to comment and ask!

• Jeannie Moulton says:

Vitamin D3 is obtained from the sun. Just a few minutes of exposure a day is sufficient.

Since some people live in climates where this is is not possible, or people chose to stay out of the sun, vitamin D3 is supplemented. THIS IS TRUE FOR ALL PEOPLE. Vitamin D doesn’t occur naturally too many foods, except for some fish.

When I lived in Arizona, I didn’t worry about Vitamin D at all. Now that I live in England, I get my Vitamin D from fortified soy milk, much like non-vegans get their Vitamin D from fortified cow’s milk.

Regarding B12, my main source is from fortified foods – cereal and soy milk – though I probably do not need it. If you come to my home, on a typical day, I eat a vegan diet, but occasionally I will eat meat if my grandma cooks it for me or if someone at work accidentally puts cow’s milk in my tea…or if I just even feel like eating meat. I eat approximately one full serving of animal products each week, and if this is something like lamb, it has way more B12 than you need for the week. Since B12 can be stored, I don’t worry too much about it.

• Meat eaters worry too much about how vegetarians/vegans get their protein or vitamins. Nature gave us all the sources in a plant based diet. Why killing an animal for this? But they don’t care how meat is bad for many cancers…

3. Chloe says:

thanks for sharing with us,I know more aggs after read this.

4. Shell says:

Very informative…. I appreciate the info thanks.

5. Rox says:

To the writer: Seriously? Did you even do your research about salmonella? You can only get it by eating RAW or UNCOOKED eggs! If you’re making cake or an omelet just make sure you cook it enough and you’ll be fine… We dont need a vegan movement.. just more educated people.

• Jeannie Moulton says:

This is a weekly vegan article, and this weeks post was geared towards egg replacements.

I was not writing about salmonella, or even really the egg recall, so that is why nothing is mentioned in the article about it.

Anyway, if there are 500 million eggs recalled for salmonella, who’d want to risk undercooking an egg? Maybe people want to wait to make sure the recall isn’t expanded.

It is possible that even though people know they can kill salmonella by cooking it that they would like to learn about what eggs do in food and possible egg replacements, even if to just try something new. Then they’d find that bananas taste better than eggs in pancakes.

6. Thank you for your information on eggs. I have been severely allergic to eggs all my life and it has been difficult to get eggless recipes particularly where cakes are concerned. It is wonderful to know that there is an alternative for them

• Support our Site!

• Let’s Connect!

• Popular Posts & Pages

Whether you are looking to completely give up animal products or just want to try eating vegan some of the time, we want to support you! Below, you’ll find articles answering some common questions about vegan cooking and nutrition. If you don’t see your question answered below, please get in touch with us! We are happy to investigate for you!

Find out what's in season now, plus get plenty of recipe inspiration to help you make the most of every season's beautiful, local fare.

I love infographics. When I came across this one about what, how, and when to plant vegetables, I thought I’d share. Keep reading after the pic for a few of my own lessons learned.

Top Sustainable Food Jobs of the Week.

Looking for an all vegan grocery store? Even if you’re not lucky enough to have one in your town, there are lots of online options for vegan grocery shopping.

• Search the IM Network