When we started to harvest cantaloupe at the farm last week, I knew right away what I’d do with them: make melon salad.
Sure, melons are great raw as snacks and make lovely desserts, but I like these summer fruit even better in savory, spicy salads. Here are my top ten favorites!
1. Watermelon and Feta Salad with Chopped Vegetables – You can find most of the ingredients at your farmers market or in your garden. Plus, I love the creamy dressing! (Vegetarian)
2. Zucchini Melon Salad – Honeydew and smoked chicken breast pair well with zucchini, one of summer’s most bountiful crops. Omit the chicken for a vegetarian version.
3. Melon with Feta, Red Onion, and Pine Nuts – One of my all-time favorites. I love the way sweet onions and toasty nuts enhance the flavor of honeydew. (Vegetarian)
4. Savory Melon Salad in Honeydew Vinaigrette – This salad is fancy enough for company. Baby mustard greens, frisée, and fennel are topped with three kinds of melon and dressed with a honeydew vinaigrette that you’ll want to make again and again.
5. Tomato and Watermelon Salad – This salad proves that tomatoes and watermelon were born for each other. (Vegan)
6. Picante Three-Melon Salad – The perfect balance of sweet, spicy, and salty. (Vegan)
7. Cucumber-Watermelon Salad – Another spicy melon salad. The pistachios make the dish. (Vegan)
8. Honeydew and Cucumber Salad with Sesame – This Asian-inspired salad is perfect for a summer picnic or barbecue. (Vegan)
10. Jícama-Melon Salad – This exotic version of Pico de Gallo is refreshing on a hot day. The sweetness of melons and oranges is balanced by crunchy jícama, pomegranate seeds, lime juice, and chili powder. (Vegan)