Published on May 18th, 2010 | by Rachel Shulman2
Easy Gluten-Free Crust for Quiche and Pies
Here’s a fast and easy recipe for a brown rice crust that’s a perfect base for quiche and savory pies. It’s gluten-free, lighter than the classical pie pastry crust, and delicious.
Brown Rice Crust:
- 2 cups of cooked brown rice
- 1/4 cup of grated cheese
- 1 egg
Preheat the oven to 450 degrees.
Mix the rice, cheese, and egg in a bowl.
Press the rice mixture into the bottom and along the sides of a pie plate, about 1/4 inch thick.
Bake until the edges and bottom just start turning golden brown, about 5-7 minutes. Don’t over-bake the crust because it will continue to brown when you pop it back into the oven with your filling.
This crust works great for quiche, savory pies, and even deep-dish pizzas. Find a recipe for quiche below.
Broccoli, Portobello, and Gouda Quiche with a Brown Rice Crust:
- 1/2 pound of sliced portobello mushrooms or baby bellas
- 4 eggs
- 1 cup of milk (or 3/4 cup of coconut milk)
- 1 cup of grated gouda cheese (I like goat gouda)
- 1/2 pound of chopped broccoli florets
- 4 green onions or scallions, chopped
- Freshly ground black pepper
- Brown rice crust (use gouda cheese in the crust recipe above)
Preheat the oven to 375 degrees.
Heat a few tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil over medium high heat. Saute the mushrooms until tender. Set aside to cool for a few minutes.
Mix the eggs, milk, and cheese in a bowl. Add the broccoli, scallions, and mushrooms. Stir to combine and season with salt and pepper.
Pour the egg mixture into the pie crust.
Bake until golden brown and set in the center, about 30-35 minutes.
Use the buttons to connect with EDB on some of your favorite social networks!