Published on May 11th, 2010 | by Rachel Shulman1
Top 5 Recipes for Farm-fresh Eggs
Besides being happier birds, pasture-raised chickens produce eggs that are more nutrient-dense than their industrial counterparts. Their yolks are intensely orange (from the caratenoids found in green grass) and they have stronger structural integrity than the eggs you can buy at the supermarket. Plus, an egg from a grass-fed chicken tastes a whole lot better than a conventional or organic factory-farm egg.
So why not let these beautiful eggs be the star of your next dinner? Here are my top 5 recipes for eggs from pasture-raised chickens.
1) Goat Cheese Soufflé with Thyme: Easy, delicious, and impressive enough for entertaining guests. (Vegetarian)
2) Breakfast Pizza: Cheesy pizza with bacon, eggs, fresh herbs, and sweet onions.
3) Shakshuka: An Israeli dish of eggs poached in spicy tomato sauce. Perfect for a quick weeknight dinner. (Vegetarian)
4) Egg and Herb Salad: This isn’t your classic, deli-style egg salad. A creamy, yogurt-based dressing and vibrant, fresh herbs amp up the flavor. (Vegetarian)
5) Breakfast Burrito: Beans, eggs, and cheese in a tortilla make for a filling meal any time of day. See recipe below. (Vegetarian)
- 2 cups of refried beans
- 4 large flour tortillas
- 6 eggs
- 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- 1 cup of cheese of your choice
Warm the beans in a small pot. Stack the tortillas, wrap them in foil, and put them in a 300 degree oven for 10 minutes.
Beat the eggs. Heat the oil in a skillet over medium-high heat. Cook the eggs for a few minutes, stirring frequently.
When the eggs are done, remove them from the heat. Spread cheese on each tortilla and top with 1/2 cup of the beans. Add the eggs and a few spoonfuls of salsa to each tortilla. Roll them up and serve hot, or wrap them in foil and freeze for later. To reheat foil-wrapped burritos, put them in a 350 degree oven for 20 minutes. Makes 4 burritos.
For more information on how to cook eggs, visit Classic Ways to Cook Eggs.
Use the buttons to connect with EDB on some of your favorite social networks!