Published on November 30th, 2009 | by Rachel Venokur-Clark3
Healthy Chinese Food! Vegan Very Veggie Pineapple “Fried” Rice Recipe Included
Make your own healthy Vegan Chinese Food! In the mood for something Asian but don’t want to risk ordering in a gloppy, full of fat mess from your local take out place? Try cooking up this super easy Very Veggie Pineapple “Fried” Rice recipe instead. Satisfy your cravings in a healthy way and your body and mind will thank you.
Very Veggie Pineapple “Fried” Rice
Prep Time: 20 min
Cook Time: 50 min
Yields: 4-6 servings
1 ½ cups uncooked Brown Rice
1 cup fresh Pineapple-cubed
1 cup Asparagus tips
½ a medium Vidalia Onion-sliced
2 cups Broccoli florets
½ cup of frozen Peas-thawed
2 buds of Bok Choy
1 cup Napa Cabbage-chopped
½ cup Carrot-cubed
½ cup raw unsalted Cashews
5-6 Fresh Basil Leaves-chopped
1 tablespoon fresh Ginger-Minced
1 tablespoon Olive Oil
3 tablespoons Sesame Oil
5 tablespoons low sodium Tamari
1 teaspoon Agave Nectar
½ teaspoon Crushed Red Pepper Flakes
1) Fill a pot that has a tight fitting lid with rice and 3 cups of water. Bring to boil, cover and simmer over a low heat for 40-50 minutes.
2) In a large wok, heat olive oil. Sauté broccoli and carrots over medium-high heat for about 5 minutes until they begin to soften, stirring occasionally.
3) Add onion and bok choy and continue to sauté for another 5 minutes, stirring occasionally.
4) Add cabbage, peas, asparagus, ginger and 2 tablespoons of tamari and sauté on high heat for an additional 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.
5) Add pineapple and cashews and sauté for anther 3-5 minutes or until all veggies are heated through.
6) Lower heat and add cooked rice, basil, red pepper flakes, sesame oil, additional 3 tablespoons of tamari and agave. Toss to combine and allow flavors to marry over low heat for 1-2 minutes before serving.