Vegetarian + Vegan Issues 3228537025_1e46eb59fa

Published on May 4th, 2009 | by Marygrace Stergakos

Meatless Monday: 10 Vegan Breakfast Ideas

vegan breakfast

Vegetarian breakfasts are easy: Greek yogurt sprinkled with granola, scrambled eggs, pancakes, French toast… The list goes on forever.  While I wouldn’t say that vegan breakfasts, on the other hand, are challenging, its certainly a good opportunity to think outside the box.  Unless of course, you don’t mind cereal with soymilk every morning for the rest of eternity.  Me?  No thanks.  Breakfast is my favorite meal of the day, and don’t think I let being vegan get in the way of that.  Here are some of my favorite vegan breakfast ideas that are filling, nutritious, and keep me away from the cold cereal.

1. Porridge.  My favorite is steel-cut oats cooked with almond milk on the stovetop.  I add in a drizzle of flax or coconut oil at the end of cooking for richness, and lots of chopped dates and apricots for sweetness.
  2. Sweet potatoes. Yes, baked for an hour in the oven tastes best, but 6 or 7 minutes in the microwave does the trick, too.  I like to mash in lots of almond butter for protein, as well as a dash of cinnamon.
  3. Scrambled tofu.  No, it tastes nothing like eggs, but yes, it is delicious.  My favorite recipe, lovingly titled Golden Tofu Scram involves tahini, sesame seeds, and sunflower seeds.  How does that not sound good?
  4. Granola mash-up.  Okay, not the best name, but that’s what I call it.  I warm up some homemade berry compote, top with a few handfuls of granola, and pour in a little soy or almond milk for creaminess.  Then, I stir away!  Trust me, its delicious.
  5. Breakfast burrito.  Wrap Refried beans, guacamole, and leftover stir-fry veggies in a whole wheat tortilla for one commute-friendly breakfast.
  6. Quinoa pilaf.  While quinoa is cooking in water or your favorite non-dairy milk, stir in some pecans and dried cranberries.  When finished, fluff with a fork and top with a little grated orange zest.
  7. Cherry smoothie.  This one is especially great in the summer.  Combine 1 cup frozen cherries, 1 cup water, 1/2 T coconut butter, 1 T cocoa powder, 2 T unsalted almonds, and a few medjool dates in a blender and whizz away.  Fresh, frothy, and fabulous.
  8. Vegan pancakes.  They’re easy!  Doctor up your favorite traditional pancake recipe like this: Replace each egg with 1 T ground flaxseeds and 2 T water, and sub soymilk with a little bit of cider vinegar for the buttermilk.  I also like to replace half the white flour with whole wheat, and add in some blueberries or sliced banana.
  9. Fruit salad.  Another warm-weather favorite when you’re looking for something light.  My favorite is a mix of strawberries, blueberries, raspberries, and blackberries, topped with chopped almonds.
  10. Banana boats.  You can do this with one or two bananas, depending on how hungry you are.  Split each banana length-wise and spread each half generously with peanut butter.  Top with raisins, drizzle on the agave nectar, and dust with cinnamon.

Related posts:

Meatless Monday: 8 Meat-Free Sandwich Ideas

Meatless Monday: An Old-Fashioned Idea, and Tahini for Breakfast!

10 Animal-Free Meal Ideas From Your Pantry

Keep up with the latest sustainable food news by signing up for our free newsletter. CLICK HERE to sign up!

Tags: , ,

I'm a 22 year old vegan from New Jersey with strong interests in local sustainability, community, slow food, and all that good stuff. Just getting out of college, I'm trying to find as many ways as I can to incorporate sustainable eating into my own lifestyle.

19 Responses to Meatless Monday: 10 Vegan Breakfast Ideas

1. Pingback: Ten Vegan Breakfasts | Vegan.com

2. Johanna says:

Or take an idea from the British and have baked beans (meatless ones, of course) on toast.

3. Native_Momma says:

Those sound perfect. I think the granola mash up sounds the best!

4. Vegetarian says:

Great recipes. I am really surprised vegan’s can actually round up so much food up to eat. Good for them.

5. cathy says:

Great ideas! I think that I’ll try the banana boat one tomorrow!

6. Pingback: So what do you eat? Part 1 « A lemon a day…

7. Scott Cooney says:

I had the tofu scramble today. Fantastic! Thanks for the suggestion.

8. marygraceis says:

Vegetarian–it certainly can be challenging for those new to or unfamiliar with veganism to find a variety of satisfying meals to eat, but I find that the more vegan cooking you do, the more ideas you get. Fortunately, there are also lots of great vegan cookbooks and food blogs out there to provide great inspiration.

9. Pingback: Meatless Monday: 8 Delicious Uses for Tofu : Eat. Drink. Better.

10. eleni says:

Thanks for the list. Here are some more ideas:

Oat flour pancakes: oat flour, pinch of baking soda, pumpkin spice, banana,& walnuts, water…cooked with olive oil they taste like oatmeal cookies.

Also, biscuits and gravy (with slabs of baked tofu topped with garlic powder & salt) is another nice filling breakfast. Biscuits: whole wheat pastry flour, oil or earth balance shortening, baking soda, salt. Gravy: stir fry mushrooms & onions, add braggs, & water/flour or corn starch.

Apple turnovers: apples/cinnamon/walnuts with a nice whole wheat pastry pie crust (made from flour, salt, oil). Cut up small pieces and wrap up apple mixture in each piece then bake.

Eleni

11. Pingback: 8 Delicious Uses for Tofu | Healthy and Green Living

12. Pingback: Socca – the French pancake that’s gluten-free and vegan : Eat. Drink. Better.

13. Pingback: Queen Latifah Reflects On Vegan Breakfast In “Put On Your Crown”

14. Pingback: Meatless Monday – Not-So-Eggs Benedict | The EcoSpheric Blog

15. Pingback: Vegan, here I come! « The Starving Foodie

16. Teri says:

Can whole wheat flour be substituted for oat flour?

• You might need to up the liquid if you do that, but I’d wait until the batter is mixed up to see….if it looks too thick, add a teaspoon of water at a time until it’s the right consistency.

It’s very easy to make oat flour. Just dump rolled oats into the blender, and process until you have a uniform, powdery flour!

• kefilwe says:

no i don’t think so. or mabe sometimes

17. kefilwe says:

i dont know yet but i think the menu is great for my day and can help much in my body mybe i will defeat cancer. i like it

• Advertisements

• Popular Posts

Over-the-counter drugs might alleviate your allergy symptoms, but the side effects can be the pits. Try these food-based natural remedies for seasonal allergies instead!

I love infographics. When I came across this one about what, how, and when to plant vegetables, I thought I’d share. Keep reading after the pic for a few of my own lessons learned.

Herbal homemade soda is quite simple actually. Almost any herb can be used, and this lavender and lemon combination is cooling and refreshing!

Do You Think Cilantro Tastes Like Soap? Here’s why.

Putting a healthy meal together can be difficult on a busy weeknight. These quick, easy, healthy meals make even weeknight cooking a breeze.

Looking for an all vegan grocery store? Even if you’re not lucky enough to have one in your town, there are lots of online options for vegan grocery shopping.

• Advertisements