Published on April 27th, 2009 | by Marygrace Stergakos7
Meatless Monday: 8 Meat-Free Sandwich Ideas
During my first year of being vegan, I didn’t really know what to eat. The fact that I was a teenager who had never learned to prepare anything more complicated than a bowl of cereal probably didn’t help much, but suffice it to say that twelve months involved a steep culinary learning curve. I ate a lot of Amy’s frozen burritos, apples, and salads that consisted of spinach, black beans, and lemon juice. Unappetizing indeed! Sometimes I think it’s a wonder that I managed to stay healthy during this period, or even that I stuck out being vegan at all.
I also noticed during that year that I never bought any bread. What’s the use of bread when you don’t eat meat to put in between it? Thankfully, I rediscovered the sandwich in all of its vegan glory. Sometimes, complicated food (you know, the kind that requires a knife and fork) just doesn’t work. There are days when I need something that’s easy to make, easy to eat, and will keep me energized.
In addition to making you feel super healthy, these sandwiches will make you feel super happy: They’re cheaper than deli meats and cheeses, and have a much lower carbon footprint! All sandwiches use good-for-you whole grain bread.
- Equal parts miso and tahini, cucumber rounds, avocado slices, and clover sprouts
- Crunchy peanut butter with raisins and shredded carrot
- Baked tofu, pesto, and romaine lettuce
- Asian-style salad sandwich: Shredded red and green cabbage tossed with peanut dressing. Add baked, sliced tofu for extra staying power.
- Sliced apple and almond butter with a sprinkle of cinnamon
- Spread refried beans on bread, add shredded lettuce, chopped tomato, and guacamole
- Veggie delight: Spread a thick layer of hummus on bread, top with any raw vegetables you have on hand (I like baby spinach, shredded carrots, and sundried tomato)
- Marinated and grilled portobello mushroom with sauteed red onion, crisp lettuce and tomato
Use the buttons to connect with EDB on some of your favorite social networks!