Published on November 14th, 2008 | by Melissa Elliott3
Beyond Pie: 10 Great Savory Pumpkin Recipes
We’ve all had pumpkin pie and it seems everyone has a favorite recipe or variation of it, but what about when you want to eat seasonally, but aren’t craving sweets? Here are 10 pumpkin recipes to satisfy your savory side and take advantage of the current farmers market bounty.
- Roasted Pumpkin and Garlic Soup – As the weather cools, there’s nothing more comforting than a big bowl of warm soup. This creamy recipe is loaded with roasted garlic to keep those sniffles away.
- Chili Pumpkin Cranberry Risotto with Spicy Toasted Pumpkin Seeds - When you want to impress your loved ones & make their taste buds dance, no one does it better than Isa Chandra Moskowitz, author of Veganomicon. This risotto is sure to be a hit any meal.
- Smoky Pumpkin Hummus – Craving a festive party dip to share with friends? Julie Hasson and Everyday Dish TV serve up this spin on the Mediterranean classic, complete with a video tutorial.
- Soft Pumpkin Pretzels – Giant, doughy pretzels don’t have to be from a stand at the county fair. Make your own pumpkin infused version with this recipe.
- Black Bean and Pumpkin Chili – Hearty comfort food is where it’s at and this is as perfect for serving to your Sunday afternoon football crowd, as it is for a quiet night in front of the fire.
- Thai-Style Shredded Pumpkin – For a quick and easy pumpkin dish, try a Thai inspired twist with this delicious stir fry. You’ll have dinner on the table in no time!
- Fresh Pumpkin Pasta – This is another easy, yet impressive dish to make. If you really want to get in the spirit, top it with a Fire Roasted Tomato Pumpkin Sauce.
- Autumn Millet Bake – Author Mark Bittman claims to know “How to Cook Everything Vegetarian” including this quintessential seasonal casserole with a wonderful hint of fresh sage.
- Stuffed Pumpkins with Herbs and Bread Crumbs – Do you have vegetarians coming to the table at Thanksgiving? These mini stuffed pumpkins make for a lovely presentation and are sure to delight all.
- Indian Pumpkin Curry – Pumpkin, red chilis, and freshly grated coconut collide in this sweet and spicy dish, perfect for serving over basmati rice.
Use the buttons to connect with EDB on some of your favorite social networks!