Published on November 13th, 2008 | by Robin Shreeves3
Thrifty Thursdays: Plan Ahead to Make Leftover Turkey Recipes
Thanksgiving is only two weeks away. I always host the holiday at my house, and I always cook a turkey that is far larger than our needs for our feast. Why? I want the leftovers. Since cooking a turkey is time consuming, not too many of us do it outside of our holiday dinners. By planning ahead by buying a really big turkey, I can have enough leftovers to make some of my family’s favorite dishes in the weeks after Thanksgiving without having to take the time to cook another turkey.
What do I do with the leftovers? My husband’s favorite is the Thanksgiving Leftover Sandwich. Most people have their own variation of the sandwich, but our combination is cold turkey, cranberry sauce, and stuffing on toasted white bread slathered with mayonnaise. My husband introduced me to this when we were dating, and although it sounded unappetizing at first, I was quickly converted.
Another of my favorite leftover turkey dishes is to make my turkey pot pie filling, but instead of putting it into a pie crust, I serve it over biscuits.
Here’s my recipe for Turkey Pot Pie over Biscuits:
- 6 tbsp. butter
- 1/3 cup flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp dried marjoram
- 1/8 tsp black pepper
- 1 cup milk (I use 1% and it works fine)
- 10 oz. hot water
- 1 tsp. chicken bullion
- 3 cups cubed turkey
- 16 oz. partially cooked mixed vegetables
- Melt butter in large saucepan
- Stir in flour, salt, marjoram and pepper – cook until smooth, stirring occassionally
- Slowly stir in milk, then water
- Add bullion
- Bring to boil, reduce heat and stir constantly until it thickens
- Add turkey and vegetables, cook for 20 minutes – make sure turkey and veg are cooked through
- Serve over homemade or store bought split biscuits
What are your favorite leftover turkey recipes? Let me know in the comments.
Keep up with the latest sustainable food news by signing up for our free newsletter. CLICK HERE to sign up!
Use the buttons to connect with EDB on some of your favorite social networks!