Published on September 1st, 2008 | by Derek Markham4
All-Star Veggie Kabob Recipe
Vegetarians are everywhere.
We show up at parties and cookouts, inspecting the grill and asking about ingredients. If you didn’t plan to feed us, we’re probably going home hungry. Savvy vegetarians will bring along some veggie burgers to grill, but only if you can scrape the grill clean…
Chances are, you’ve got a vegetarian on your invitation list. Or maybe a flexi-tarian who chooses veg over meat most of the time. If you plan ahead with a good vegetarian grilling recipe, you’ll be prepared to feed all of your guests.
Veggie kabobs are one of the easiest vegetarian recipes to make. Feel free to improvise with the veggies you have on hand. You really can’t go wrong.
All-Star Veggie Kabob Recipe:
- Sweet onions, cut into chunks
- Mushrooms, stem removed, cut into chunks – Cremini, Portabella, Shiitake, or white button
- Bell peppers, cut into one inch squares – red, yellow, and green
- Zucchini, sliced
- Yellow squash, sliced
- Sweet corn, cut into pieces (after I told you not to)
- Broccoli, cut into pieces
- Garlic cloves, peeled
- Baby bok choy
- Tofu, drained and cubed (optional)
- 3/4 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 3 tablespoons fresh squeezed lemon juice
- 1 tablespoon tamari or shoyu soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon honey
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon fresh ground pepper
- 1 teaspoon dried parsley
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- 3 cloves of pressed or minced garlic
Whisk the marinade ingredients together. Place the veggies in large baking dish or bowl and pour the marinade over the top. Stir well, cover, and put in the fridge. Let it marinate for at least an hour, stirring occasionally. You can let this sit for up to four hours for maximum taste.
Scrub one side of your grill to remove any carnivorous residue, or cover with foil. Skewer the veggies onto bamboo sticks and grill over medium heat for about 20 minutes or until tender, turning regularly. Baste with marinade as they cook for juicier kabobs.
You don’t have to be a vegetarian to savor these veggie kabobs. They’ll disappear as quick as you can make them.
Image: apium on Flickr under a Creative Commons License
Keep up with the latest sustainable food news by signing up for our free newsletter. CLICK HERE to sign up!